ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stabilizing only one point of footage allowing for warp.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Aronson
Stabilizing only one point of footage allowing for warp.
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:03:24 pm

Hi folks!

I'm trying to stabilize only one point of footage, keeping the rest of the footage positionally constant. Here's specifically what i'm doing:

Projection mapping a face to a carved head, haunted mansion style. The actor kept mostly still but there are still a lot of micro movements and small head turns. The effect will sell better if the tip of the nose in the footage is stabilized to the tip of the sculpted nose. I put a tracker dot on the tip of her nose, but now I'd like to lock that point to one place. I don't want to motion stabilize the entire clip to the nose because then the rest of the face moves a lot. I'm almost looking for a rubber effect, where even if the rest of the face moves, that particular point is locked in place. I tried parenting a puppet node to a motion tracked null, but that didn't do what I wanted.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stabilizing only one point of footage allowing for warp.
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:17:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:18:39 pm

I don't know of any way to do this in AE with any combination of tracking. No automated way to do this.

But you CAN stabilize the image on the nose, apply Mesh warp, and animate the mesh at the edges of the image where if it isn't dead-solid-perfect, it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Stabilizing only one point of footage allowing for warp.
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:36:05 am

Have you tried the warp stabilizer yet? I'm curious how it would handle this shot.

Similar to Dave's suggestion, I'd probably approach this with a pot of coffee and RE:Flex [link].

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]