ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AMD R9 390X for After Effects - Good or Bad?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrei Constantinescu
AMD R9 390X for After Effects - Good or Bad?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:10:13 pm

Hello! Mr. John Rofrano suggested that I should ask you guys this, so here goes:

First time on these forums BUT I've read a loooot of good advices from all the nice people here :D
I know about all the issues nVidia has with After Effects. My budget is very limited but I have decided to finally build myself a brand new PC... giving up on nVidia completely, especially since most new models conflict with Sony Vegas as well. (My old PC's GPU and CPU are beyond salvageable anyway)

I'm aiming to get an i7-4790K CPU to go hand-in-hand with an AMD R9 390X 8GB 512.

My question to you, kind-and-wise people of the forums, is this: Has any of you experienced any issues with this combination in After Effects?

I would love to be able to use GPU Rendering... or basically just to speed up render time and avoid crashes, but so far I haven't been able to find anything regarding this possibility for the R9 390X.
I've read plenty of posts on your forum and other places as well... with nothing truly conclusive coming up.

I cannot get anything that is more expensive than this card, so would the R9 390X boost rendering speeds in After Effects or not? I know, from what I've read, that it would mostly be useful for ray-tracing and other 3D stuff, but I'm not sure if it does that as well, or if I'll end up with the infamous "5070::0" error. Are there any issues/conflicts? Does it matter?

Thank you for your time,
Andrei

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AMD R9 390X for After Effects - Good or Bad?
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:22:28 pm

Here's the thing -- the latest versions of AE don't even utilize GPU rendering. The last one to do so was AE CS6. So you wouldn't be getting that card for AE, you'd be getting it for your editing application.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrei Constantinescu
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:45:50 pm

But I might be using cs5.5, soooo would it still help? :3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:48:26 pm

No. That AE version only got acceleration from Nvidia cards. And the speed improvements weren't anything tow write home about.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrei Constantinescu
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:51:08 pm

Isee! Okay, thank you very, very much!
As long as it does not mess up anything or create conflicts, the R9 390X is the way to go. Finally. :) I've spent three long days looking for an answer.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:24:00 am

CS5.5 had an OpenGL rendering feature. That is not limited to NVIDIA cards, but it is completely useless and really shouldn't be relied upon. In fact, that OpenGL rendering was removed in CS6 for this very reason.

In CS6 and up, there are a few simple things that the GPU can handle, but it generally relates to drawing on-screen, not image processing, and nearly any modern GPU will do it. See here for more:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/basics-rendering-exporting.html...

Short version: like Dave said, don't worry about your GPU for Ae. Also, don't get excited when you see "OpenGL rendering" digging through CS5.5's settings. Keep that off for everything except interactive preview.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]