ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Light stops? What?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred VandenbrouckeLight stops? What?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 9:11:23 am

I'm not used to post on forums since I try to find my own solutions.. but I'm stuck here ^^"..
I've this scene (wich is actually quiet big in size) where my lights stop in a sharp way .. so any clue?
Its just a simple scene with Video Copilot Element, a camera, a Background and a light..
Here is a screenshot:

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Light stops? What?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 1:12:40 pm

When you have a problem like this, it's really helpful to post screenshots of your whole UI so we can see what you see at Ae.

Educated guess? You have one of the following in your timeline between your 3D elements:
  • A 2D layer
  • An adjustment layer
  • A 3D layer with a layer style applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer to which an effect, closed mask (with mask mode other than None), or track matte has been applied
  • A 3D precomposition layer without collapsed transformations

Ae's 3D layers must be together in the timeline to be processed together for shadow-casting and intersection. You can "break" 3D space, intentionally or unintentionally, with a layer like one of the above interspersed with your 3D layers.

More here:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Light stops? What?
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 3:55:23 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Sep 16, 2015 at 3:56:49 pm

Element's shadow mapping has a specific size; likely that is the edge of the shadow mapping area. You can turn up the size of the shadow map and/or scale down the model so you cover the entire area. Or you can use ray-traced shadows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved