ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Garnett WelshDrastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:42:55 pm
Last Edited By Frank Garnett Welsh on Sep 14, 2015 at 11:51:47 pm

http://imgur.com/a/wgD3N

Here are two screenshots from uncompressed .avis at the same resolution, the first from the raw file and the second an export from after effects. Over the past few days I’ve been completely bemused as to what’s going on with my quality issues, with the odd shot im working on within my gaming montage being affected by this bug. Does anyone at all have a clue as to what could be causing this?

This quality loss is apparent at full quality in the preview window as well so it wouldn't be anything to do with render settings even if they were (they're not) causing it. This points to the issue being with AE struggling(?) with it.

The footage is fine in a program such as Sony Vegas, and exports without quality loss, but After effects it is not.
If I render the .avi from Sony Vegas and THEN put it into AE rather than a direct import, the image quality will not distort. Could After Effects be struggling to interprate/work with uncompressed .avis ranging from 500fps-2500fps? The footage is being interpreted at its original FPS and the project is 32 bit / 60fps @ 1920 x 1080p.

My question to you is what can I do about this? Is there a setting that I have somehow messed up that’s causing the image quality to mess up. I’m completely lost. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 15, 2015 at 3:53:54 am

[Frank Garnett Welsh] "export from after effects"

What exactly are you exporting from After Effects?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 15, 2015 at 3:49:29 pm

[Frank Garnett Welsh]: “Could After Effects be struggling to interpret/work with uncompressed .avis ranging from 500fps-2500fps? The footage is being interpreted at its original FPS and the project is 32 bit / 60fps @ 1920 x 1080p.”

All I see is a little change in gamma. Is that the source of your woes?

Since you mention “gaming montage” I’ll guess you’re using screen capture software, capturing at a high frame rate. Two issues come to mind:
1) I doubt your capture software makes lossless AVI’s as it records, which means it was transcoded. What was the media container & codec of the original capture? It could be the source of the problem.

2) I have five whole American dollars that say while you may be CAPTURING at a high frame rate, you’re not actually GETTING a high frame rate. Why? The display from which you’re capturing can’t play back at a high frame fate. There are technical limits within which display technology must work. I’ll bet you’re actually displaying 60fps maximum… which means if you capture at 600fps, you have one frame followed by 9 duplicates, then a new frame followed by 9 duplicates, and so on. Sure, the game may say it’s putting out a high frame rate, but chances are overwhelming that you’re not actually seeing that high frame rate.
I’d bet that the image captured at 60fps wouldn’t have any smoother motion than one captured at 2500fps. That’s one of the reasons for recording & playing back at a high frame rate – smooth motion. The other is to create slow motion by playing back at a lower frame rate. Incidentally, research done by Douglas Trumbull, the effects guy behind “2001: A Space Odyssey”, reveals that the human eye can’t react to anything beyond a 60fps frame rate. The changes in the images come too fast for the brain to process them.

Oh, AE can conform footage frame rates to anything you want in the Interpret Footage settings. Great for slo-mo.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank Garnett WelshRe: Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:31:20 pm

Thanks for the response. The particular game in mind called Counter-Strike has an in-built recorder that allows one to export .tga's files at any set frame rate, limitless. These tgas are compiled by 'VirtualDub' at the set rate allowing for files that are indeed true to the set frame rate (i.e i can record at 10k fps and use 1% speed and maintain complete smoothness). The high frame rate as you would imagine is for slow-mo use like you say, the final export is 60fps.

I haven't yet come to any conclusion to the issue, but it hasn't lost me a ridiculous amount of time so I've just used a work around to address the problem shots.

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 6:03:11 am

[Frank Garnett Welsh] "These tgas are compiled by 'VirtualDub'"

Is there a reason why you aren't using these TARGA sequences in AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 16, 2015 at 2:18:15 pm

The two screen shots from earlier look different on the home computer. I see the drop in vertical resolution. Here's my guess: when you rendered in AE at 1920x1080, you rendered it interlaced, and you're seeing just one field. The fix -- go to AE's Render settings and pick a field order of None.

And double-check your comp settings. Make sure they're actually what you think they are.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Drastic quality loss high-fps uncompressed .avis
by on Sep 15, 2015 at 5:44:09 pm

Looks like you're losing half the resolution. Maybe you're interpreting the footage as interlaced? (Check your interpret footage settings.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]