ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trapcode Form - opacity at edges of layer map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim BentleyTrapcode Form - opacity at edges of layer map
by on Sep 12, 2015 at 9:53:46 am

Hi all

I'm using trapcode form to create large 'piles' of static particles (custom sprite), using a pyramid-shaped layer map (just using alpha, not RGB). I'm having issues at the edges of the map, the particles near the edge are translucent which isn't what I'm after. It seems normal as the particles are quite big so I imagine it's because they are half in / half out, although the layer map has no feathering or blurring, the edges are sharp.

Does anyone know if it's possible to only render particles at 100%, it doesn't really matter if the translucent particles are removed or bumped to full opacity but I just need them to be one of the two. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Trapcode Form - opacity at edges of layer map
by on Sep 13, 2015 at 4:27:05 pm

Precompose the layer map (a second time inside the precomp) and add a "Levels (Individual Adjustment)" effect on it, make alpha white and black levels 127. This way everything under 50% alpha will disappear and everything over 50% will be 100%.

Return to posts index

Tim BentleyRe: Trapcode Form - opacity at edges of layer map
by on Sep 13, 2015 at 6:34:33 pm

Thank you for the response Kalle, I'm afraid I missed out a key bit of information...
Although the edge in question (the top edge) is sharp, it fades out further down (the gradient doesn't start until ~100px down, so the top part of the map is 100% black):

This is the effect it produces:

The map is pretty big (the 'pile' in the background uses the same map) and it's strange that the only translucent particles are right at the top (and obviously much further down as it fades out).
I've tried various things with the levels (like using a separate map for the top part with the method you suggest) but I still end up with a few translucent particles at the top.
I'm a bit stuck, the only thing I can think of is to mask out the translucent particles (this is the only 'pile' that's seen close enough to the camera to need it).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved