ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Radius on CC Sphere issues

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duncan CatterallRadius on CC Sphere issues
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 8:43:19 am

I have managed to create a rather lovely world map using several layers of cc sphere and have managed to work out my own conversion equations to plot longitude and latitude accurately on the 2D texture layer of my map - BUT I am struggling with a very odd aspect associated with the radius.

Granted CC sphere fakes 3D and doesn't work directly in a 3D environment - although obviously there's plenty of ways of tricking cameras use auto orientate to camera etc with the 3D switch on...

One odd little thing I have found is that in adding text that is drive via nulls some of the data doesn't make sense. I have a null in the centre of comp that looks at the X, Y and Z rotation properties that I'm calling the Axis. I have tried using this with a "distancing" null to get from the middle of the comp to the outer radius - this issue is the radius and the actual distance to the edge of the sphere are two totally different figures e.g. 2000 radius = -1721 (rather than the more sensible -2000 or 2000). This distance needs to vary as the radius changes in order to lock objects and text in place - however I can't think of a predictable formula to drive the distance when it really should just be the radius.

Other examples (distances are aprox): Radius 250 = distance -247, Radius 500 = -483, 1000 = -936 etc.

Not too keen to use text within cc sphere as it distorts. Someone suggested a double size comp in cc sphere on another thread but this isn't practical as my 2D ma texture is as big as I can possibly get for the purpose of being able to zoom in pretty close - and it does this very nicely.

Huge thanks in advance! This is a massive headache :-)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Radius on CC Sphere issues
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 4:10:15 pm

I don't think there is ANY kind of hard-and-fast ratio as you seek. You may have to simply eyeball it... which will not be much fun.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Radius on CC Sphere issues
by on Sep 11, 2015 at 6:06:38 pm

well, I did a simple test here and at least for y dimensions the radius convertion to Y position value is a flat one. If you add cc sphere with the default radius of 200, and add any null with -200 at Y. it will stay right above your "world". the same goes for any other value I tried in the radius.

Are you sure there is nothing else in the rest of your math thats slightly changing things? maybe your camera ain't with the default 35mm preset? changing camera settings would move your 3d's around and would have no effect at your cc sphere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved