ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Color management doesn't work

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben WaflikColor management doesn't work
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:24:02 pm

I have a regular unreferenced LCD monitor (LG Flatron E2422). The footage from my camera comes with embedded Rec. 709 profile. But in After Effects when I set working space to "HDTV Rec. 709" or to any of the available profiles the footage color doesn't change at all. I don't think there is a problem with After Effects, because when I play same footage in Media Player Classic and click "enable" in color management tab nothing changes too.
Recently I reinstalled Windows 7 and this problem appeared. Before that, color management worked as it should in both After Effects and Media Player Classic. Do you know where the problem can be?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Color management doesn't work
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 2:33:25 pm

off the top of my head... if view-simulate was turned on to rec709, it wouldn't matter what color management you set AE to, it would look the same.

you can actually test this by using utility color profile converter. it bypasses color management altogether.

Return to posts index

Ben WaflikRe: Color management doesn't work
by on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:47:08 pm
Last Edited By Ben Waflik on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:47:37 pm

Ok, figured it out myself. If color management does nothing when you turn it off, just install a color profile. I used free tool called "Calibrized". You can leave all settings as is and just click next until the setup is finished. The main thing is to have a custom color profile applied in Windows color management settings. Calibrize does just that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved