ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Not enough available memory error on 2nd stage of Warp Stabilizer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antoine Dertoix
Not enough available memory error on 2nd stage of Warp Stabilizer
on Sep 8, 2015 at 11:49:05 am

I'm trying to stabilize a video clip I recorded using the Warp Stabilizer, but a little after AE begins Stabilizing (2nd Stage) it shows a message box saying that there's not enough memory to allocate for stabilizing (or something like that).
The PC I use has 16 GB of RAM and the video I'm trying to stabilize is a 3840*2160, 6.67 GB, '.mp4' file which I downscaled and exported (using AE itself) into a 2880*1620, 343 GB, '.avi' file. I used the later to stabilize the video as it would take less time to analyze (about 3 hrs instead of 5 hrs).

Thanks in advance,
Antoine

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Not enough available memory error on 2nd stage of Warp Stabilizer
on Sep 8, 2015 at 4:44:45 pm

2880x1620 is not a very common resolution for delivery; what will you do with a file in those dimensions?
Other questions: what is the duration in time of this clip? Can you cut it up into shorter clips to stabilize them individually?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Antoine Dertoix
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:04:01 pm
Last Edited By Antoine Dertoix on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:42:16 pm

Thanks Dave, for the reply.

I know that 2880*1620 is not common, but I downscaled to that resolution to avoid loosing too much detail (since the clip gets cropped to cut out the black portions formed during stabilization) but at the same time I needed to shorten the duration of the whole process. The final resolution I opt for is 1080p.

The duration of the clip is 14:38 minutes. I've read about cutting the clip into shorter parts, but I'm not sure if, after stabilizing them separately, merging them back together will yeld a result that doesn't look like a 'stitch up' video.
Don't know if I made myself clear, but my doubt is whether the stabilized clips will look uniform, or if I'll end up having one clip cropped or panned differently than the other. This concerns me as the actual clip is one shot.

Thanks again
Antoine

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2015 at 5:45:19 pm

That is an EXTREMELY long clip to stabilize. When you apply Warp Stabilizer to a clip, the information generated as it analyzes it is stored in RAM. You're running out of memory.

If you can't get more memory, you will probably be forced to find cut points in that long clip, and cover those points with other video. It becomes an editing issue.

I have to tell you, I wouldn't want to watch the same shot for fourteen and a half minutes! I'd get bored! I would want visual variety. Even if this is some dance troupe, you should be able to find some shot that you can logically cut into the video. I think you will need to do that so you can segment your clips for successful stabilization.

Before you apply Warp Stabilizer, you'll need to apply your editor's sensibilities.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Antoine Dertoix
on Sep 8, 2015 at 6:02:59 pm
Last Edited By Antoine Dertoix on Sep 8, 2015 at 6:04:25 pm

Alright, that's what I needed to know.
And, by the way, the clip is actually a dance troupe. I'll have to find some shot to throw in.

I'm really grateful of the help you provided.
Thanks again.
Antoine

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 8, 2015 at 6:09:57 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 8, 2015 at 11:08:22 pm

HA! Only dancers would be satisfied with looking at a wide shot of dancers for minutes on end.

Even opera singers like variety in shot selection... not that they would be able to express it in editor's terms -- they'd say, "why is this picture so boring?"

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]