ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shattering in 3d

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aviel nahoum
Shattering in 3d
on Sep 4, 2015 at 9:12:32 pm

Hey,
i am trying to use the shatter effect on an image to create a puzzle like animation. i applied the shatter on the image plane, and enabled 3D, but all the parts of the puzzle are animated on a 2d plane, i.e it's not "real" 3d where i can use a camera to fly through the parts.

am i missing something?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Shattering in 3d
on Sep 5, 2015 at 1:32:53 am

You either have to use the camera controls within the shatter effect itself or change the Camera System to comp camera. Your layer can not have 3D enabled though or you get the 2d plane problem.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

aviel nahoum
on Sep 5, 2015 at 3:16:42 pm

thanks!
so no way to have 3d with an "external" camera?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 5, 2015 at 6:28:37 pm

Yes, just change the camera system to "Comp camera". The layer itself just can't be a 3d layer.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 7, 2015 at 11:30:22 pm

[John Cuevas] "Yes, just change the camera system to "Comp camera". The layer itself just can't be a 3d layer."

For clarity, when the camera system is set to "Comp camera" as John mentions, the Shatter effect itself looks at the comp camera and renders the 3D view the comp camera should see.

Pseudo-3D effects like this, even though they may be aware of the comp camera, should never be applied to 3D layers. They handle the camera reference internally, and you do not want Ae to transform the layer they're on in the 3D system, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]