ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Workflow: 2000+ names in text file

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim DeMartinWorkflow: 2000+ names in text file
by on Sep 2, 2015 at 1:45:11 am

I have seen posts regarding this topic but have not been able to find something that will work for me with using source text from a text file.

I have 2000+ names to display across an LED ribbonboard 5328x40pixels at a football stadium. There needs to be four names displayed at a time for 3 seconds, and then dissolve into the next four names for 3 seconds, etc.

Currently I have all the names in a text file. Each name is on a different line.

What is the best workflow for this? My thought is to have create a text path to each of my four text locations, and then somehow have it jump 4 down the list after 3 seconds.

Copying and pasting each name into each location will take hours and add a lot of room for error. Not to mention it will all be a waste if a name needs to be added or removed. Please help!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Workflow: 2000+ names in text file
by on Sep 2, 2015 at 8:22:02 am

Try asking in the After Effects Expressions forum. At least Dan Ebberts will be able to tell if you can do this reading from an external text file.

You can copy the list onto a hidden text layer and read them onto a visible text layer with an expression, but I don't know if this amount of text causes a problem. Probably not.

In either case, it is an expression or scripting question.

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Workflow: 2000+ names in text file
by on Sep 3, 2015 at 3:49:35 pm

Ribbon boards. Joy. It's like drawing pictures on shoelaces.

You could give CompsFromSpreadsheet a try.

I used it on a project last year with about 700 names. It worked like a champ. I'm not sure if it will fit your specific needs. You could try the demo and see if it works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved