ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Multiprocessing is slower!?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michel SalloumMultiprocessing is slower!?
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:53:29 pm
Last Edited By Michel Salloum on Sep 1, 2015 at 1:56:38 pm

Hello all,
I never used Multiprocessing, i mainly do a lot of 2D animations for school, and my Dell laptop isn't a beast, but i imagined that multiprocessing will give me some performance boost.
But as soon as i enable it, the RAM preview just take forever!

Dell Inpiron 15r - Windows 7 | 64-bit
Intel i5 2.50 GHz
8 GB of Ram
Nvidia GT 525M

Am i getting it wrong?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiprocessing is slower!?
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:14:11 pm

You're probably getting it RIGHT, but AE can't cooperate.

Some effects can utilize only one processor -- multiprocessing's no good then.

Some effects are notoriously slow -- the ones that manipulate time in some way or clean up noise come to mind.

If you don't prerender Warp Stabilizer, it can be a big time suck.

And if you don't transcode footage to a lossless codec, who knows what could cause the slowdown.

Lots of reasons for AE to be slow... few definitive answers without detailed info. That's the problem when you run software that, despite 22 years, is currently a Work In Progress.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michel SalloumRe: Multiprocessing is slower!?
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:27:04 pm

Thank You both for your replies,, I defiantly have a lot to read and understand about how things works.. And can better optimize my modest machine. Maybe I will be just fine without multiprocessing after all..

Best regards.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Multiprocessing is slower!?
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 4:33:32 pm

1.5 GB RAM reserved for other applications is way too low. You are starving your system of RAM [link]. 8 GB is not a lot of total system memory -- often not really enough to use MP very effectively.

Also, starting a multiprocessing preview or render requires Ae to save the project, launch multiple renderer instances in the background, and have each one of them load the project and footage -- all before they can render a single frame. On bigger systems and longer renders, you make up for this initial piece of overhead with faster renders, but on smaller systems and/or shorter renders/previews, it may not be worth it. I usually check the "Only for render queue, not RAM preview" box.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Multiprocessing is slower!?
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:06:04 pm

I'm with Walter, I wouldn't try that feature until you have at least 16 GB of RAM.

The weirdness of Multiprocessing is part of the reason why After Effects is in the middle of being overhauled in the current version.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michel SalloumRe: Multiprocessing is slower!?
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 6:13:36 pm

Yes.. the link that Walter provided was interesting to me.. I well do a lot of reading.. Maybe I will finally get a new laptop at some point.. (I know I should go for a desktop, but electricity is not that reliable in my country)

Thank you a lot for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved