ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Intro question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby SalmonIntro question
by on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:01:27 pm

Hello all,

I am semi new to after effects, have created a few videos but still have a lot to learn, that being said, I am extremely interested in learning how to do a video similar to the older mountain men intro seen here:

I believe it is most likely done with masks, etc. but if someone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Intro question
by on Aug 31, 2015 at 6:13:07 pm

I see 3D layers, particle systems, track mattes and extruded text, and that's just for starters. I only looked at it once.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Intro question
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 11:26:41 am

Lots going on there but the basic method revolves around using a track matte of footage of splattering paint to mask out other footage. Then repeat that about 250 times and compose them into sets of pre-composed 3D layers with camera moves and finally add high contrast color correction.

Return to posts index

Bobby SalmonRe: Intro question
by on Sep 1, 2015 at 10:19:57 pm

Yes there is alot going on, I love how they made it look so fluid but still busy. so in essence, I could take a splattering paint footage and use that as a mask revealing another video footage right?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Intro question
by on Sep 2, 2015 at 2:00:07 pm

That sounds right. If the paint clip you have doesn't already contain alpha, you should be able to pull a key pretty easily as long as the background and paint color are distinct from each other.

You would then use the paint layer as a track matte [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved