ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to move project and all source files to another drive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claudiu PetrescuNeed to move project and all source files to another drive
by on Aug 26, 2015 at 2:06:30 am
Last Edited By Claudiu Petrescu on Aug 26, 2015 at 2:50:08 am

Hi guys, I'm working on a project that got out of hand both in size and folder hierarchy. Problem is I underestimated how complex the project would get and now I have source files all over the place, on two different drives in fact.

My question is how can I move everything correctly to a third drive, and whether it's possible to change the folder hierarchy entirely without messing the project up. If necessary, I will do it manually, but can anybody confirm I can actually make the move? there's all sorts of things and fine tuning in the project, also several comps that I used to make pre-comps for the main composition.

The list: 32 layers of PSD files, PNG files and .mov files; All of these types of files have animations to them and are cut to all the correct timecodes; several source files have been used several times on separate layers with separate cuts and with their own adjusments - all sorts of; some have color corrections; there's chroma keying; there's luma and alpha mattes; there's definitely a very heavy load of masking involved; a couple of the source video files have Alpha channels; adjustment layers, null layers, also using solids with masking; I don't know where to classify these latter elements mentions since they don't necessarily seem to fall under "source files".

I believe these constitute the bulk of my project, what do you think, is it possible to pull the move off? How would you go about doing it, please answer if you are a professional, I'm still a beginner to be honest. But to make it as clear as I can, I guess I'm most worried about the fine adjustments because I don't even know whether these things get moved. I'd try it out first before posting, but I don't know how to do this properly given the situation, I'd normally document myself before asking but I don't really know how to start documenting myself on this one.

Return to posts index

Frank FeijenRe: Need to move project and all source files to another drive
by on Aug 26, 2015 at 8:50:49 am

Something like this?

In AE: File/dependencies/collect files/All
Select your new/bigger HDD is the destination, all footage and your project will be copied in 1 folder.

Return to posts index

Claudiu PetrescuRe: Need to move project and all source files to another drive
by on Aug 26, 2015 at 1:00:17 pm
Last Edited By Claudiu Petrescu on Aug 26, 2015 at 1:08:24 pm

Yes hi, thank you for the reply Frank. I did that, it only made a folder of 12GB and my project is much bigger than that. It didn't even copy 10% of the source files. Without getting into detail regarding what AE lost during the transition, I can say it only transitioned a very little fragment of the work done as I can see when I open up the project.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Need to move project and all source files to another drive
by on Aug 26, 2015 at 2:52:58 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 26, 2015 at 3:20:05 pm

I will guess that you're using AE CC 2015.

Did you use any of AE CC 2015's new features in your project? If not, I would backsave to an AE CC 2014 project file, open it in AE CC 2014, and try collecting the files again.

The best thing that can be said about AE CC 2015 is that it is a work in progress. If you don't have to use it, don't. You will avoid its many bugs.

The reason for this is as follows: if you are using a new procedure in AE for the first time, and you create a condition that will trigger a bug in AE, how do you tell if it is really a bug or an error on your part? You can't tell. It will drive you crazy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]