ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Someday, I'm going to learn

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRondeSomeday, I'm going to learn
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 5:13:57 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:30:18 pm

I think this is the point when I learn not post anything in the least bit derogatory about Adobe on the Adobe web site. I did so earlier today in the After Effects forum, and it had vanished within a half-hour.

So here it is in its entirety:

This Is What Frosts Me. Really Frosts Me.

I just got an email from the Adobe Marketing Weasels about Character Animator. It led me here:

But you know, on the forums I frequent I have not heard Word One about this software gizmo since... oh, maybe three days after AE CC 2015 came out. The crickets are chirping, the frogs are croaking, but no one is breathing a word about it. It's like this flashy, new gee-whiz feature just dropped off the map.

Well, isn't that just great.

I have no doubt that the Adobe Development Team is a bunch of busy folks. They're striving mightily to improve AE performance... well, at least that's what the former Mr. After Effects, Steve Forde, led users to believe about a year and a half ago by asking in so many words, "If we concentrated all our efforts on making AE work better, would you like that?" I recall the answer was an overwhelming, "YES!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE, YES!!!"

So what do we get? Character Animator, and almost no one is using it. If lots of people WERE using it, if it was a must-have, world-beater feature, I wouldn't be getting emails telling me all about it so I don't forget it.

The Adobe Development team COULD have been working on making AE perform better, but NOOOOOO! They had to jump when the Marketing Weasels beckoned, drop their Really Important Work -- i.e. making AE perform as advertised -- to make some silly, unpopular, non-Earth-shattering feature.

To meet the deadline for the release of CC 2015, wherein AE has to play nicely with other Adobe applications, I suspect the development team had to rush. They had to leave their Really Important AE work unfinished. The result -- one of the most bug-ridden versions of AE ever in AE CC 2015, and a bug fix that breaks things that previously worked. And a bug fix for the bug fix in the fall; let's hope it doesn't break other things.

They banged their heads against the wall on an apparently-useless project when they could have been doing something truly valuable, and that frosts me.

So this is addressed directly at the Adobe Marketing Department --
Kids, leave the flippin' AE Development Team alone! Let them work on getting AE to perform the way YOUR hype bills it! Forget mandating any harebrained features that require them to take their eyes off The Prize! Don't you GET IT? All the new features in the world are useless if the software doesn't work well, so give them the time to make it work well!!! Does this not make sense to you, or are you so enamored with the Future Possibilities of After Effects that you're blind to the shabby, repeatedly-patched, painfully-archaic state of the After Effects of the present? You folks are supposed to be smart -- show some smarts for once in your lives! Leave 'em alone!

Stinkin' marketing weasels.

Okay, I'm climbing down off my soapbox now......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken TeutschRe: Someday, I'm going to learn
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 8:48:33 pm

I just read this on the Adobe site. But it's better in italics.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Someday, I'm going to learn
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:44:14 pm

REALLY? Following your comment, I looked in Adobe's After Effects forum. I didn't see it. Perhaps it ended up elsewhere.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Someday, I'm going to learn
by on Aug 25, 2015 at 9:58:24 pm

Dave, again, you have said that your thread on the Adobe forums has been removed, when instead it is being actively engaged with:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Someday, I'm going to learn
by on Aug 26, 2015 at 3:16:35 pm

Dave, I think Todd and the others gave some pretty good answers to your post. Three different staff members replied!

Todd, thank you and your fellow Adobe folks for your transparency and communication. I hang around in the C4D forums too and the difference is night and day. This summer's revolt in the C4D camp has finally caused Maxon to begin changing their ways and the infamous "wall of silence" is starting to come down. However, I often see folks in the C4D forums pointing to you and your team as examples of how a software company should communicate with its users. Y'all have been very open about the new architecture and the road ahead, so thank you for that. Also, thank you for taking this risky, bumpy road of rebuilding AE. It really needed it and, when the new setup is finally fully in place, I think we'll all be very grateful - even Dave!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved