ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer Management and Text Layer Troubles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Owen Liotti
Layer Management and Text Layer Troubles
on Aug 24, 2015 at 12:56:46 am

Hi all,
I'm extremely new to After Effects and decided to get into it to make lyric videos/motion graphics videos for my YouTube channel and for my portfolio.

I used to use Sony Vegas Pro 13 for all my editing needs, but a lot of Vegas' features pale in comparison to AE.

I made a few motion graphics videos in Vegas, and there is something where you can have multiple text boxes on one layer, useful for videos with a lot of words needed onscreen. However, I've noticed that I can't do this in AE and I'm ending up with a different layer for each word, which is extremely inefficient and is lagging my program.

So how do I manage my layers so that I don't have to make a new layer for each word in a kinetic typography-type video?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Layer Management and Text Layer Troubles
on Aug 24, 2015 at 8:50:09 am

You can keyframe the source text value. That way you can reuse the same layer for any number of animations, needing just a couple of layers.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2015 at 1:04:55 pm

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I'd mention that Ae is capable of handling hundreds of layers, but that Ae, even with just a handful of layers, is not real-time.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 24, 2015 at 7:12:24 pm

In many cases the Text Animator feature will do what you want. If need be you can even select single words from the text layer to animate in their own way. However, you might end up with lots of text animators applied to a few text layers.

In any case, I recommend you look into text animators in the documentation.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]