ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects - Morphing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leanna Schmit
After Effects - Morphing
on Aug 21, 2015 at 3:54:25 pm

I am working in AE CC. I am trying to morph a triangle that I had drawn out in AE and had it do a card wipe, then rotation. During the rotation I want it to morph into an AI CC file I imported. It is part of a logo, it's like three stripes.

I had created bizier paths for the triangle I drew in AE and added a mask as well so that I could copy the mask path of the AI file I imported (the stripes) onto the triangle's path. But the key frame never shows up for the Triangle so it just shows the mask of the other shape but won't let it morph.

I hope that all makes sense. Can someone help me? This should be simple.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: After Effects - Morphing
on Aug 21, 2015 at 6:28:42 pm

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but if you want to bring in a mask you've drawn in Illustrator then copy it in Illustrator and paste in AE (on a solid or image/footage layer). Importing will bring it in as an image or comp, not a mask.

Return to posts index

Leanna Schmit
on Aug 24, 2015 at 12:46:20 pm
Last Edited By Leanna Schmit on Aug 24, 2015 at 3:28:20 pm

I've tried that, but it paste the mask no where near the shape. Basically I want a triangle to morph into three stripes. I can't get it to do this.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 24, 2015 at 3:29:57 pm

If there is no specific reason to make the triangle in Illustrator, you can do the animation with three animated masks on a solid layer and two keyframes. Start with two of the masks inside the triangular mask, then reshape the masks into three stripes at the other keyframe. Or is there something inside the triangle other than flat color that needs to morph as well?

Return to posts index

Leanna Schmit
on Aug 24, 2015 at 3:34:40 pm

The triangle I made in AE. The stripes that I want it to morph into are slightly curved, they are imported because they are from a logo that was already drawn out in illustrator. But no there is nothing special about the triangle, just a solid color. The stripes are two different colors though.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 24, 2015 at 4:03:46 pm

I see. I would make the three stripes their individual layers, and concentrate the morph on one of the three stripes so that one stripe turns into the triangle (or the other way around) and the other two sort of emerge behind the triangle. I would start with the triangle, then keyframe the mask so that it ends up right inside the select stripe at the end keyframe. For the other two stripes, you probably want to add an animated envelope distort so they "morph" as they move out from behind the triangle. Using just four corner points for envelope distort will be adequate.

Return to posts index

Leanna Schmit
on Aug 24, 2015 at 4:06:45 pm

I will give that a try! Thank you helping me out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]