ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

I am trying to achieve this look...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Engin Osmanovski
I am trying to achieve this look...
on Aug 21, 2015 at 3:15:48 pm
Last Edited By Engin Osmanovski on Aug 21, 2015 at 3:22:43 pm

I want to achieve a caricature look like in this video clip: https://goo.gl/jh2SsL

Now, one thing i know about the video is that the artist used Mocha for this. (I guess we should export out a lot of shape data from Mocha to AE, right? What else?). But i have no idea how he made these dynamic shadows... I also wonder how i can achieve those lines too. They are not just straight lines. They look like hand drawn. I mean the thickness changes along the line. How can i do that? Is that a 3rd party plugin?

I dont know where to start. May be more experienced users here can roughly tell me what kind of a workflow i should follow. Or may be you can lead me to a source like a tutorial or article you know.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: I am trying to achieve this look...
on Aug 21, 2015 at 4:25:34 pm

Along these lines:

But the outlines are hand-drawn, not made with an effect.

Return to posts index

Engin Osmanovski
on Aug 24, 2015 at 11:10:33 am

@Kalle Kannisto

Do you think those out-lines are hand-drawn frame by frame?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 24, 2015 at 3:22:44 pm

No, they are being morphed along with the rest of the image. You'll need several poses, front on, 1/4 view, 1/2 view 3/4 view, side view to begin with. But they are reuseable.

The real issue is how many pieces you have to break it down to. For instance closing eyes can be a pretty complex affair. I don't know if you can really track that. If not, you'll have to create some nulls and sliders to do so.

However you approach it, it is a LOT of work to do something like this.

If something less ambitious is workable, you could check out some toon shader plug-ins. They do the work mostly automatically, but obviously they don't look as good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]