ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

SGI files/color space (management) questions/export settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob WilsonSGI files/color space (management) questions/export settings
by on Aug 21, 2015 at 7:46:02 am

Hello everyone!

I'm going to start by saying that I'm very new to After Effects and I'm still learning the ropes :)

A couple of years ago, I had a 3D generalist do some work for me for my short film. He handed over his shots in SGI format and I couldn't figure out how to get them to work with Adobe Premiere (which was being used to cut the film)

So, here are my questions

-Even if I load in the SGI files into After Effects raw, what export setting (web, blu-ray etc) would I choose to keep the quality of the work? As great as the QT I created looks, I feel that it doesn't have the beauty of the SGI files.

-Editing in After Effects is cumbersome isn't designed for quick cuts etc so I'll need to export to another video format? What would you suggest?

I'm not well versed in this area and it seems to be quite difficult to find the answers online which is why I'm so confused.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bob WilsonRe: SGI files/color space (management) questions/export settings
by on Aug 21, 2015 at 7:48:09 am

I forgot my color management question:

What's the difference between REC 709 and REC 709 16-235?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: SGI files/color space (management) questions/export settings
by on Aug 21, 2015 at 6:16:12 pm

[Bob Wilson] "A couple of years ago, I had a 3D generalist do some work for me for my short film. He handed over his shots in SGI format and I couldn't figure out how to get them to work with Adobe Premiere (which was being used to cut the film)"

It's possible that the 3D renders are linear -- that is, rendered without gamma encoding. If this is the case, you should interpret them as such in the color management settings of sequences' footage interpretation, or you should use the Color Profile Converter effect if you're managing color manually.

See this video for some easy-to-digest background information on linear workflows with 3D:
http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/tutorials/what-is-linear-workflow-and-how-...

[Bob Wilson] "As great as the QT I created looks, I feel that it doesn't have the beauty of the SGI files."

QuickTime has horrible color rendition problems. It's impossible to critically evaluate your image in QuickTime.

[Bob Wilson] "Editing in After Effects is cumbersome isn't designed for quick cuts etc so I'll need to export to another video format? What would you suggest?"

You could use a visually-lossless intermediate like CineForm or ProRes.

[Bob Wilson] "What's the difference between REC 709 and REC 709 16-235?"

The difference is what the assumed values of black and white are. Rec. 709 (16-235) should be used if your sources have already had their blacks raised and whites compressed in order to fit in the video-legal range. Most of the time, Rec. 709 is the appropriate choice, and Rec. 709 (16-235) will look a bit milky and dull.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2015 at 12:35:29 am

I don't have Cineform or ProRes as output options I don't think. I'm running CS6 After Effects. Is there anything in the program, that would give me what I need?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 22, 2015 at 1:42:44 am

I'm on PC by the way

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: SGI files/color space (management) questions/export settings
by on Aug 24, 2015 at 1:03:33 pm

[Bob Wilson] "I don't have Cineform or ProRes as output options I don't think. I'm running CS6 After Effects. Is there anything in the program, that would give me what I need?"

CineForm comes standard in CC and newer. I think DNxHD wrapped in MXF is available on CS6, as is AVC-Intra 100. You may have to go through Media Encoder to get to these formats.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]