ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

smartphone screen replacement with app running.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Bowmansmartphone screen replacement with app running.
by on Aug 17, 2015 at 2:46:20 pm

Getting ready to take on 5 shots that require screen replacement. The smartphone will be locked down so no motion tracking will be needed, but they are having the actors interact with the screen. I originally suggested having the screen turned off, or alternatively with a fullscreen green or blue color displayed on the phone, but they have to have the app running for the actor to know what to press/swipe/etc.

Just wondering if any of you have had to do something similar, and I'm assuming I will just be forced to rotoscope the actor's fingers and hand as they interact with the screen. Mocha should help a bit for tracking the fingers.

Any advice or tips prior to the shoot to make this a bit easier? Thanks.

Eric Bowman

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: smartphone screen replacement with app running.
by on Aug 17, 2015 at 3:11:12 pm

That sucks. Replicating the reflections is going to be an icky job!

Surely they can just tell the actors where to press or they could design a mostly black screen with tiny differences in the shade so the actors can see where to press. That would make the whole thing look a lot better.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: smartphone screen replacement with app running.
by on Aug 17, 2015 at 4:02:46 pm

You could also chroma key just the hand that interacts with the phone screen. Since phone screens are held vertically in most instances, you can rotate the camera 90 degrees so you shoot the hand in a vertical screen orientation. Just zoom in a bit, shoot some common finger movements with the phone, and you can move the hand in & out of the shot by animating position.

I'm currently working on a project that does just that.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved