ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hulme3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 5:18:48 pm

Here's the rundown of this odd problem. (BTW, I'm running After Effects CC 2014 on Mac OS 10.9.5.)

Step 1: Load this stock clip into new comp.
Step 2: Time reverse the clip, since that's the shot I'm looking for.
Step 3: Apply "3D Camera Tracker" and wait for analysis and camera solve.
Step 4: Confirm a good-quality track and pick a target area between 3 points
Step 5: Right click, and select "Create Text and Camera"

-- SO FAR SO GOOD, BUT THEN... --

Text element appears in wrong position (elsewhere in comp, several pixels away) and is not appropriately locked to background footage, but instead floats above it like a regular 2D layer. However, if I change my view in the Comp window from "Active Camera" to the now-available "3D Tracker Camera" view, everything looks right. I can then add other elements (text, solids, 3D models using Video Copilot's Element plugin, etc.) and they all work as expected -- but only when viewing comp from "3D Tracker Camera" view. Of course if I try to render, it renders out what the Active Camera sees, which looks wrong.

That's the odd thing. The analysis, camera solve, etc seem to all work fine. But if I can only view it correctly in "3D Tracker Camera" view, and not "Active Camera," then I'm not able to render it out successfully. I've tried various tutorials on the subject, and been able to successfully replicate for example the one linked below, without running into this Active Camera quirk. On my on comp though, it's another story. Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: 3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 6:24:16 pm

As I said on your duplicate thread, show a screenshot of your Timeline panel and Composition panel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Scott HulmeRe: 3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 6:54:23 pm

Active View (text out of place and not "attached" to BG):

3D Tracker Camera view (text in place where targeted, and behaving as expected -- i.e. moving in 3D space to match backplate):

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 7:56:22 pm

There is only one camera in your scene, so the active view should normally be the same as the 3D Tracker Camera view.

However, the 3D Tracker Camera is NOT active; the layer has been trimmed and does not appear in your timeline. Go to the beginning of the footage, select the 3D Tracker Camera layer, then press Alt+[ to trim the beginning of the camera to the beginning of the footage. Then go to the end of the footage, select the 3D Tracker Camera layer and press Alt+] to extend its out point to the end of the footage.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Scott HulmeRe: 3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:08:12 pm

Thanks, Walter -- that's got it.

Odd that the 3D Tracker Camera was not active when it was added, but in discovering another workaround just now, I think I figured out why.

I had loaded the clip, time-reversed it, applied the tracker, then added text and camera. When that didn't work, I tried to take out the time-reversing step to see if that was the problem. I rendered out a separate movie of the reversed clip and tracked that instead -- and everything worked fine. So it seems that when you track a time-reversed clip, there's a bug in the system that turns the 3D tracker camera INactive when it gets added. This situation can be:

a) avoided by tracking a regular forward-playing clip; or
b) fixed using your clear instructions

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Nick LindridgeRe: 3D Camera Tracker works, but only in "3D Tracker Camera View" not "Active View"
by on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:57:56 am

Thanks Walter! Had the same issue with a linked comp from premier. First was thinking that linking wasn't working, but it was with another clip. Then noticed that active camera wasn't rendering the same as the 3D camera, but didn't spot that it wasn't active in the timeline. Don't know why but an easy fix and learnt a little more. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]