ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating a character out of lots of pictures (squares)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lasse Lyhne Abild
Creating a character out of lots of pictures (squares)
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:00:21 am

Hey,

I am trying to create an animation, where a lot of pictures start out aligned as a skyline, and then moving and transforming into a character (more or less a person created out of lots of pictures). The main idea is that these pictures move in a liquid way, and are able to create different shapes. Also - if possible I would like every picture to always be aligned towards the camera and not rotate in any way.

My brain is wrapped around solving this very thing, without having to move each picture individually, and I was wondering if any of you could give me some inspiration or ideas?

Thanks
/Lasse

- - -
Head of Postproduction @ Nerd Productions, Denmark

We do
Videoproduction in Copenhagen
Corporate videos

and whatever our imagination tells us!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Creating a character out of lots of pictures (squares)
on Aug 13, 2015 at 4:58:27 pm

Do you have Element 3D?

Return to posts index

Lasse Lyhne Abild
on Aug 17, 2015 at 7:34:47 am

Hey Kalle,

Thanks for the reply
No Element 3D, but I'm willing to purchase it, if it gets the job done in an easier fashion, than what I'm currently doing!

I guess there's a learning curve to E3D, I have some experience in Cinema4D - would that help? The look i want is not 3D but 2D - is that a challenge, or does it just require a bit of learning?

/Lasse

- - -

We do
Corporate videos

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 13, 2015 at 7:10:25 pm

Thats easily doable in Cinema 4d. And probably doable in a same fashion with Element 3d (as Kalle suggested). You'd have to populate 2 shapes (groups) with the same number of particles and transition between them with the animation engine. You can have it transition to more shapes if you do it in pairs. You wont have total control in the motion to get a "liquid feel" as you would in C4d though.

Return to posts index

Lasse Lyhne Abild
on Aug 17, 2015 at 7:38:51 am
Last Edited By Lasse Lyhne Abild on Aug 17, 2015 at 7:40:50 am

Hey Cassius,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok so Cinema4D would be a way to get there - I have some experience with that, so that could be my approach from here. Quick question - as I just replied to Kalle, I'm going for a 2D look - how would you go about that?

Also - do you know of any tutorials or tips, that would help me complete my goal?

Oh - one more thing - I only have the cinema lite edition - is that gonna cause me any problems in relation to the animation?

Thanks again,
/Lasse

- - -

We do
Corporate videos

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 17, 2015 at 10:11:48 am

Actually, the method I was going to suggest is the same that Cassius suggests above for C4D, so if you already have experience in Cinema 4D, that is probably the way to go. I don't have experience in C4D, but I would have done it in a similar fashion in Element, that is: create two grid shapes (3D objects) that form the beginning and end shapes, then animate between them. The shapes need to have the same number of vertices (which means same number of squares in this case), otherwise some of the images will be missing. Element (and apparently C4D) can populate particles for each vertex point and animate between two (or more) such shapes.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 17, 2015 at 12:45:07 pm

sorry I'm not sure which of the mograph modules(if any) are available to the lite version. You need to make sure you can clone to a shape volume and use the inheritance effector to transition between them. (not sure if theres another way to do it, thats how I usually do)

As for the 2d look, c4d won't impose any limitations, you may as well use a parallel camera. not sure if the tracer is available too... having white stroke lines following some of your photos would help sell the animation. The spring effect of the delay effector is also a plus.

As for tutorials on the animation, just search for terms like "morphing between cloners".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]