ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

DPX sequence color depth

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias SundbergDPX sequence color depth
by on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:12:02 am

Hi! This will be my first post in this amazing forum and I have two short questions regarding After effects DPX sequence color depth output.

I've animated a short commercial that's going to run in the local cinema. It's an animated "poster" the client provided in a PSD format. My question is will there be a noticeable difference in look since I've been working in 8-bit and will export an 8-bit DPX sequence? I've done no color changes, only animation.

And secondly. I recently got the tech-spec from the cinema and they require some black frames before and after the clip. Can I simply add the black frames in premiere and output to a new sequence with no loss in detail or color? This is to shorten render times.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: DPX sequence color depth
by on Aug 16, 2015 at 4:02:41 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Aug 17, 2015 at 9:00:08 am

Is this a log dpx? Interpret and render logarithmic if required. Log stores overbright values similar to 32 bpc.
This is required to work in linear while editing. Also, you can use cineon converter log to Lin effect with adjustment layers and visa versa before rendering.

Also, 8 bit dpx can possibly have histogram errors from the past. If you do any blending and color correction beware of that. And work in 16, 32 bpc, AE will dither for you upon render time.

There can also be color management issues thrown into the mix as well such as universal printing density.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved