ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Building Rockstar VFX Editing Computer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh FrackletonBuilding Rockstar VFX Editing Computer
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 4:40:38 am

Hey guys,

I posted a couple weeks ago and received a lot of great feedback. Basically I'm trying to build a stellar After Effects and RED editing (Premiere) computer without going too overboard price-wise. My current computer is virtually useless working with 4k+ footage, which is heavily bottle necking my workflow. My parts come out to about $5,600. I was hoping to keep it under $5,000, but I feel like if I'm investing this much, I better not skimp on any single component. With that said, if I can save money somewhere I'd be curious to know where. I chose this Mobo because it has plenty of slots for ram, and also extra PCI slots if I want to get a Tesla down the road.

Here's the basic breakdown: SSDs for Cache and Boot drive, NVIDIA Quadro for that CUDA support in Premiere, 32 gb ram, Dual 6-Core processors, 2k monitor.

Is this the best bang for the buck? Am I over-spending anywhere? I Already purchased the GFX card because it was on sale last week, but haven't purchased anything else.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Building Rockstar VFX Editing Computer
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 5:32:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 12, 2015 at 5:45:12 pm

It seems to me you'd want to post this in the forum appropriate for your editing application. AE doesn't make much use of fancy third-part video cards, bu editing apps do.

AE likes to have lots of RAM and a big SSD for caches. And fast processors.

Remember, YOU'RE the one who used the term, "rockstar". Rock stars have deep pockets.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved