ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why doesn't my displacement map and effect work ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie WalunasWhy doesn't my displacement map and effect work ?
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 1:01:17 am

I've made custom displacement maps on stills to make them appear 3d a number of times. For some reason this time around, the effect and maybe the map, doesn't work correctly. When I adjust the horizontal displacement or the vertical displacement, it simply moves the main still image up or down. The effect doesn't really apply except oddly on the right edge of the image it gets crazy distorted and squeezed but it's not the usual 3d effect at all.

Here's a screen shot:
9135_displacement.jpg.zip

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Why doesn't my displacement map and effect work ?
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 11:31:18 am

Are any of the layers continuously rasterized?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Rosie WalunasRe: Why doesn't my displacement map and effect work ?
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 2:50:28 pm

No. And actually the rasterize column doesn't have any boxes for checking off. It simply has no boxes, except on a nested comp that I turned off and I'm only using for reference, it's not part of the picture.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2015 at 3:53:45 pm

Are there any other effects applied to the layers?

It might be easier to examine the issue if you upload the scene file with proxy/simplified assets.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Why doesn't my displacement map and effect work ?
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 4:40:27 pm

In addition to what Darby asks, are you displacement maps in their own precomps or have you just painted on a layer and tried to use that?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2015 at 10:13:40 pm

Well, I figured it out.

The main picture was cropped to around the human figure. The displacement map included the displacement coloring in the middle of a massive black still image. Even thought the grayed map was aligned with the image properly, it wouldn't work. To fix, I cropped the displacement map to be the same size as the cropped image of the human. Kind of an announce that the whole still image has to be approximately the same size. I don't understand why it wouldn't function the same, because I literally just cropped the map.

Thanks all.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2015 at 4:54:23 am

There's a drop down in the displacement map effect that allows you to change how the map is applied. I believe the default is stretch to fit and it sounds like center map may have worked for you.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2015 at 2:25:37 pm

Actually none of the other options functioned at all. Choosing them simply cropped off the sides of my main image. But like I said cropping around my displacement map fixed it and now the displacement is reflected on the main image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]