ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Jog forward/backward frame by frame WITH AUDIO?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MatthewsJog forward/backward frame by frame WITH AUDIO?
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 5:27:05 pm

Gave up on this a while back but thought with the new unified preview in AE 2015 that it might be possible now...

Anyone know how to move the playhead frame by frame while hearing audio preview? I just hate how clunky and inaccurate it is to drag the playhead while holding command to get audio--so imprecise. It's been my dream for a long time to be able to advance one frame at a time, while hearing audio, to make animating to sound sooooo much easier.

(On a tangentially related note, I was hopeful that I'd be able to use the new unified preview to interrupt a RAM-caching that stops preview and moves current time to playback time. I even went into the preference text file and changed the setting from "Begin playback loop of cached frames" to "Stop Preview," but there was no difference in performance. Anyone else manage to do this? Or have any other tricks for working with audio that doesn't involve command-dragging the playhead? Hate that.)

Thanks, y'all!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Jog forward/backward frame by frame WITH AUDIO?
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:22:11 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:26:33 pm

Nope. Sorry. No frame-by-frame.

Now, you CAN scrub audio, and it works really well with the caps lock key on -- the video doesn't update. And if you ctl/cmd-click and hold without scrubbing, AE plays the next 10 frames of audio... which can also be handy.

I've used about a half-dozen different NLE's plus AE, and none of them scrub audio in exactly the same way. You get used to them, and you deal with it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew MatthewsRe: Jog forward/backward frame by frame WITH AUDIO?
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:35:30 pm

Yes, I'm very familiar with all the current AE audio scrubbing options and I've been dealing with it every day for the past 10 years. Just thought maybe they included some new ones in the latest update that I hadn't heard about.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved