ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS6 always freezes and crashes PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zaire Vaile
After Effects CS6 always freezes and crashes PC
on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:25:51 am

Hi guys i'm new to this forum and am excited to be a part of the community. At this point i am a mid level after effects user, o know it quite well so when this problem occurred i was confused an frustrated. This problem is really started to effect my goals in negative ways, I really want to get this music video done for my portfolio. I really can't pinpoint what exactly what happened to make after effects behave this way but it became very unstable after about my 3 months of using it. After effects has been freezing my computer while working on projects. Something as simple as moving my cursor or pre-rendering could freeze my PC and the only thing i can do is force shut down my PC. As far as what my project looks like, it's pretty complex with many effects such as 3D, color correction, and many layers of video and music files, to put it simply i treat it just like I would my sony vegas. It Still does however freeze if i were to put a simple video in, but it is less likely it seems. there is, at this point, an 80/100 percent it will crash my computer. I also have no third party plugins installed, it's just regular old CS6. Please Help!

After Effects Version 11.0

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Product Name: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz

Ram: 16GB

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After Effects CS6 always freezes and crashes PC
on Aug 11, 2015 at 2:26:28 pm

Two things you could do.
Update your AE to version 11.0.4 and see if that helps.
Update your Windows 7 to Service Pack 1 and see if it helps.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 11, 2015 at 4:13:38 pm

> After Effects Version 11.0

You are four major bug-fix updates behind. Install the latest CS6 update:
http://adobe.ly/DVA_updates

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects product manager and curmudgeon
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Zaire Vaile
on Aug 12, 2015 at 3:55:02 am

Hello there, unfortunately the update did not help at all, and i already have service pack 1. it still behaves the same way.....unstable. Is there anything else that could be contributing to this? this is driving me insane

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2015 at 2:52:36 pm

[Zaire Vaile] "It Still does however freeze if i were to put a simple video in, but it is less likely it seems. there is, at this point, an 80/100 percent it will crash my computer"

Do you have any third-party codec packs installed?

What exactly is happening when you say it "freezes" or "crashes?" The whole computer? Just Ae? Any error messages? Any trouble with other applications?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Zaire Vaile
on Aug 12, 2015 at 3:34:33 pm

Unfortunately the crash effects the computer, that's what makes this even more unbearable. You can literally tell it's going to crash because the computer will lag a little bit until it finally freezes and there is nothing you can do to help the PC but perform a hard shut down. I have no third party codecs installed in AE and after the crash I see no error messages. Also I only have this problem in AE, in programs like sony vegas I have no freezes.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 12, 2015 at 4:51:38 pm

[Zaire Vaile] "I have no third party codecs installed in AE"

Codecs are (generally) not Ae-specific, but rather system-wide. If you have something like the K-Lite codec pack installed, you may want to uninstall it. I mention this because you've mentioned that you have problems even playing simple movie files. What format are the videos you have trouble with?

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings?

You should also check for hardware-related issues: do a memory check to confirm that all RAM is ok, and confirm that your computer's ventilation is good and it's not overheating.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Aug 12, 2015 at 5:31:58 pm

Also what is your storage arrangement? What hard drives do you have, and how are they connected? How full are they? Have you tried clearing cache?

System:
Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
32GB RAM
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Zaire Vaile
on Aug 13, 2015 at 2:43:26 am

Thank you guys so much for replying, I will give you the full list of my video codec settings.

CM Microsoft RLE MRLE msrle32.dll 6.1.7601.17514
ICM Microsoft Video 1 MSVC msvidc32.dll 6.1.7601.17514
ICM Microsoft YUV UYVY msyuv.dll 6.1.7601.17514
ICM Intel IYUV codec IYUV iyuv_32.dll 6.1.7601.17514
ICM Toshiba YUV Codec Y411 tsbyuv.dll 6.1.7601.17514
ICM Cinepak Codec by Radius cvid iccvid.dll 1.10.0.13
DMO Mpeg4s Decoder DMO mp4s, MP4S, m4s2, M4S2, MP4V, mp4v, XVID, xvid, DIVX, DX50 mp4sdecd.dll 6.1.7600.16385
DMO WMV Screen decoder DMO MSS1, MSS2 wmvsdecd.dll 6.1.7601.17514
DMO WMVideo Decoder DMO WMV1, WMV2, WMV3, WMVA, WVC1, WMVP, WVP2 wmvdecod.dll 6.1.7601.18221
DMO Mpeg43 Decoder DMO mp43, MP43 mp43decd.dll 6.1.7600.16385
DMO Mpeg4 Decoder DMO MPG4, mpg4, mp42, MP42 mpg4decd.dll 6.1.7600.16385

Is there a recommended codec?

Also I have my multi processor settings unchecked in after effects, is this a problem? Also I'm not too sure how to clear my cache, i wonder if that could be affecting it. Also I can confirm that my ventilation is fine and not overheating, I always use a fan to keep it cool. I also have 16gb of ram, with after effects using about 10gb of ram.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]