ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best method for creating a "hand drawn" tracking path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don StroudBest method for creating a "hand drawn" tracking path?
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 8:09:55 pm

Hi everyone! I'm incredibly new to AE, but I'm picking up lots as I go along. However, I've got a situation where I have a couple of shots that are incredibly dark and "Bourne Ultimatum"-level hand held shaky. I have tried and tried, but I just can't get any decent tracking points.

So, I was wondering, how can I create my own "tracking"? I'm animating some floating texting bubble tied to a hand-held cell phone as a person is walking past the camera and into the distance, but like I said above, it's too dark and too jittery. I'd like to keep the bubbles smoothly in the vicinity, so that they "flow" with the movement but are stable enough to be read. I don't want to just set position keyframes here and there, as the bubbles "snap to" those positions. It doesn't look smooth or organic.

So I'm hoping that someone can give me some pointers or tips or something to help me out. Thanks!

Don

AE CS5.5, OS X Yosemite, Macbook Pro Intel 7

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Best method for creating a "hand drawn" tracking path?
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 10:17:06 pm

Instead of using Linear position keyframes, give Bezier position keyframes a shot. They might just do the trick for you. Highlight the position keyframes, right click and change keyframe interpolation to Bezier. Don't like it? Change it back the same way.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Don StroudRe: Best method for creating a "hand drawn" tracking path?
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 1:23:14 am

Dave, thanks for the tip. I definitely helped with the erratic motion.

Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]