ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Recreating an hourglass effect in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gianni VaughanRecreating an hourglass effect in AE
by on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:46:59 pm

Hi. I am trying to recreate a digital hourglass-like effect using Particle Playground, but am having no luck. I wish to have a stream of pixels running through the fingers of a static image of somebody's hands. It is meant to look very basic and artificial, but it seems that I have no way of merging all five masks for each finger (which have to be made separately) into a single mask beneath my particle playground layer, so I can't have the same particle cannon reacting to multiple walls at once. Additionally, I cannot replicate the effect of 'falling' when it collides with the masks, as the particles don't lost momentum on impact-- they just rocket off into the distance, rather than seemingly to filter through the fingers and fall through. I am not worried about inter-particle collision. Does anybody have tips? Thanks in advance.

For reference, here's a link to a still demonstrating the kind of motion I want to imitate with particle playground.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Recreating an hourglass effect in AE
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 1:55:38 pm

You could build a flow map in a precomp for Foam and use that instead.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved