ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Suggestions on my first AE project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keyser SozehSuggestions on my first AE project
by on Aug 9, 2015 at 3:41:16 pm

I know its not much but I wanna try and get better at making logo intro's using AE.

What can i add to this particular project without "overdo'ing" it. I've tried using sound keys plugin for instance but it got very distracting. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

ps. The music is done in FL Studio.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Suggestions on my first AE project
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 2:46:19 pm

The design of a motion graphic should be driven by the audience, the product, and many other things. A logo animation that works really well for a gaming channel wouldn't be appropriate for BMW, no matter how cool it is.

I can't give a very professional suggestion for what to add without knowing the details about this logo. What is it being designed for? What sort of feelings is it meant to evoke? Where is it going to be used? Etc.

As it is, I'd suggest leaving off that whole Form part in the background coming in at the end. The drawn on with falling lines thing is cool; you don't need that second half of the animation. It also wouldn't hurt to add some energy to the scene by having the camera push in during the write-on part.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Suggestions on my first AE project
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 6:18:40 pm

As above, without a defined purpose and audience, hard to say what should be improved. You are likely going to get a different answer from everyone.

As for myself, I like the falling strings, except that I would reverse them, so that the letters get formed by rising strings. I tend to agree with Michael that the second effect is unnecessary. You could consider a subtle 3D camera move, such as turn and pull back slightly to add some dimension.

But it really boils down to what it is that you are trying to say with the animation and to whom.

Return to posts index

Nathan WaltersRe: Suggestions on my first AE project
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 8:05:55 pm

Definitely agree with the 2 previous posts. I think also knowing what it is for can inspire ideas. A title for the sake of a title can be very difficult. Knowing its purpose can give you direction. Though obviously for those just starting out, it's good to simply create in order to learn the interface and how the program works and thinks.

I will say the text is pretty big and bold for my tastes, though maybe if it's for mobile devices or something like that, you may like it that way.

Also, there's definitely a few tricks I learned that can be applied to almost anything. Such as, like they said, having a slight zoom in, which just adds a bit of intensity and interest to the design. Vignettes can be good and give focus to areas within the image. You can give the image more depth by really focusing on how you can utilize the background and foreground. You can turn it from 1 longer clip into several tighter micro clips with then the big reveal at the end of the final logo. Just some thoughts.

Often too, I add a ton of effects only to find that it becomes a bit distracting and end up just cutting away until the end result is actually fairly simple yet sleek and clean.

Overall pretty darn good though!

Nathan Walters
Halo Union Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved