ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
karin weduwerexporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 8, 2015 at 8:56:10 pm

Hello,

I made some titles in After effect, rendered in quicktime rvb+alpha (tried Apple Pro Res 4444 and PNG).
The editor uses final cut pro X.
When added in FCPX, the titles (color & transparency) don't look the same at all. It seems like there might be a alpha interpretation problem ?
The blocks (transparency 50% / multiply mode in AE) are much paler, like washed colors.

What do you think i could do to fix that ? What did i do wrong ? Any idea ?

I'll give my set ups on AE, it might help :
project set ups > colour set-ups : sRGB / 32bits
render codec set-up > best result are (but still not right)= Quicktime : Apple Pro Res 4444 or PNG
rvb + alpha / millions of colors / straight (premultiplied was worse)

Or is it something that has to be settled in FCP X ?

Thanks a lot,
Karin

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 10, 2015 at 2:48:41 pm

If you're relying on blending modes for the look it won't work. Blending modes don't come through in a rendered video.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

karin weduwerRe: exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 6:53:21 am

Thank you, Michael, i didn't know that.
Unfortunately, that's not it.
I just made a test, all blocks in "normal" mode and it's the same problem.
The blocks that have transparency have "washed out" colors in FCPX…
I'll upload a screen shot of each, one is the view when it's in AE, the other when the title is imported in FCPX.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 1:28:43 pm

Are you rendering with straight alpha or premultiplied? Whichever you're doing, try the other one.
Also, what sort of color management settings are you using?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

karin weduwerRe: exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 11, 2015 at 2:16:40 pm

Both straight and multiply alpha give wrong results (straight is a little better though).
And sRGB all the way (from illustrator to AE).
Except, i couldn't find the color profile in FCPX (hate this version / but don't know it well).

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 11:29:08 am

You mention that you're working in 32bpc. What are the floating point color values of your titles in AE? Are you also linearizing the working space?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2015 at 1:01:40 pm

hello,

the settings I mentioned are the settings in AE.
(and I couldn't find the settings in FCPX the way it used to be in FCP7 (i searched for it but i have no clue, and didn't find on the web :-(

What do you mean by "linearizing the working space" ?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: exporting a title from AE to FCP X : the colors of the blocks are washed out (alpha interpretation pb ?)
by on Aug 12, 2015 at 3:51:28 pm

There's a checkbox under the area where you set the working color profile that allows you to linearize the profile.

What are the floating point color values of your titles, and why are they set to multiply in AE?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2015 at 6:50:21 am

OK, that's it :-) this checkbox "linearize the profile" changes the aspect of the colors of the blocks in After Effect (so i'll have to adapt my comp.) BUT when rendered rgb+alpha and imported in FCP, it is almost same colors then in AE. So problem solved i guess :-) Thanks !

ps. floating point is 32. And blending mode is set to "normal" now (since Michael told me FCP didn't manage blending mode when rendered).

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2015 at 3:31:50 pm

[karin weduwer] "ps. floating point is 32."

Indeed, floating point is 32 bits per channel, but I'm curious what the actual floating point color values on the layers are. For example:

Red: 1.0
Green: 1.0
Blue: 1.0
Alpha: 1.0

That would be a pure white color with full opacity. If any of the RGB values are above 1.0 then those values will be truncated/clipped to 1.0 when you render to a non-floating point format. That can cause the colors to look different.

It sounds, though, like FCP X is set up to blend in a linearized working space so that seems to have addressed your issue.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 13, 2015 at 8:14:05 pm

Hi, i don't know if i understood correctly.

These are simple color blocks & text created in AE (so would it even possible to be above 1 ?)
Color (R/G& B) close to 0. Alpha 0,8.
So bluish black blocks with transparency 80 + white text on the block (1/1/1).

Good thing to know, that the working space has to be set to linear in AE at the start of the project if it has to be rendered for FCP X !

Thanks a lot !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]