ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pinning Action Essential's jpg to comp

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trish ParkerPinning Action Essential's jpg to comp
by on Aug 8, 2015 at 2:15:41 pm

Hi all,

I hope this is an easy one for you guys, but i have drawn a blank and need some help. I have imported an Action essential's texture (ground crack) into a comp and i can't get the ground crack to move with the comp. What i mean is the footage that i have shot zooms in and out a couple of times throughout the comp and i have imported the ground crack jpg as a layer. When the footage zooms in a little the ground crack jpg doesn't move with it. Also i have masked out the person in front of the ground crack so it appears they are in front of it I have done the masking in the ground crack layer and positioned it on top of the footage layer.Any help would be appreciated.
I am using CS6

Thanks in advanced,

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Pinning Action Essential's jpg to comp
by on Aug 8, 2015 at 8:28:17 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 8, 2015 at 8:30:51 pm

Hi Trish,

In order to pin something to a moving image you will have to do motion tracking. There are several ways to do this in AE:

- The simplest one is using the 2D tracking points, which you will need two of, since the footage zooms in and out.
- AE comes with Mocha for AE which is a planar tracker that generally produces more solid (accurate) tracking results as it tracks a plane instead of one or two points
- There is a 3D camera tracker that recreates the original motion of the camera (which requires that the camera is actually moving through the shot.)

Each has it's own techniques. If you're not familiar with them, you can find the information in the help files or by googling for a tutorial.

Use one of these methods to track the motion in the footage, apply the results to a null object, and then link (parent) the ground crack image to the null object.

This is a very abbreviated outline, but should point you in the direction of what techniques you need to know and use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved