ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing stop point on motion path

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hans WiederrichChanging stop point on motion path
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:13:44 pm

I'm animating a logo similar to the Paramount Pictures logo with the stars flying in around a shield. I created a spiral motion path to match the final position and flight path of my stars. The plan is to have all 13 stars fly in and around the spiral and stop at each of their individual locations along the path. I chose to do this by adding a keyframe along the path for each star's stop point and delete the rest of the keyframes subsequent to the desired stop location. The problem I am having is that when I add a stopping point keyframe for each star and delete the subsequent ones, it alters the contour of the original path...even the contour prior to the new keyframe. Since I am animating 13 stars, each one needs to move along the exact arc of the spiral path in order to look smooth. Is there a way to constrain the path contour from moving proximal to my end point keyframe? Is there a better way to execute this entire procedure? Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Changing stop point on motion path
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:49:18 pm

You can probably accomplish this by using a null object, and precomping the stars coming onto their circular motion path. Parent the precomp to the null, which would be at the exact center of the precomp. Once the stars are visible in the precomp, you can rotate the null, and pick a very precise stopping point.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved