ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Sync the typewriter preset with a voice over?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellinor DenkertSync the typewriter preset with a voice over?
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:18:04 pm

I'm very new to After Effects and honestly very lost. I wanted to add a simple text that is being written out as someone is talking, but this seem to be much harder to do than I had anticipated...

I have found the typewriter preset and it does what it's supposed to do, however, I'd like to add it to a voice over so they're both somewhat synced. I realize this has to do with key frames - although I have no idea where to start with that.

Also, at one point, the voice changes her mind/corrects herself and I wanna add the effect of backspacing as well...

I am on a 30 day trial with Adobe After Effects, but if there's an easier program to do this, I'm all ears...

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Sync the typewriter preset with a voice over?
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 8:21:38 pm

You can add the VO file in your After Effects comp to help you out.

Once you have your typewriter animation dropped on your text, unfold the text in your comp and you will be able to see where the existing keyframes are. You can move the last keyframe (fully typed-out text) to the end. Then you can place keyframes in between to go with whatever you want the text to do.

Render your audio file so you can play it in AE. As it plays, hit the "M" key to drop a marker at each point you want the behavior to change. Then you will have reference points to place your keyframes. You won't see the markers until the comp finishes playing.

Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

Ellinor DenkertRe: Sync the typewriter preset with a voice over?
by on Aug 31, 2015 at 8:17:42 pm

This was great! Thanks!

I've now added sound but i'm not sure how to add keyframes to the thing...

also, there's a point where i want the text to erase what it just wrote (the audio v/o starts saying something then corrects herself) and write something else. Is that do-able?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved