ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Denoiser II Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward BallingerDenoiser II Question
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:15:48 am

Hello All,
This may have been covered elsewhere but I looked around and didn't see a lot of specific use threads regarding Denoiser II. It all seems to be about how much better that other product is. Whatevs, this is the one I bought.
Here's my question. I have some noisy footage which is killing me with a tiny knife. It peaks about 65 IRE, which is the subject (lady in chair) admittedly slightly underexposed but not awful. The background is dark and very noisy which is the part that's giving me heartburn.

I cannot get Denoiser II to do anything about the noise in that lower right corner.
I've even tried making a luma matte and placing Denoiser II on an adjustment layer in hopes to force it to the darker areas. No luck. When I "show noise detection" all the red squares, which I believe indicating samples, are in the upper half of the image where I'm not really in trouble.
This image was shot on a Panasonic AF100A at 23.97fps, mp4 in an mts wrapper. I'm working with Adobe CS6 Suite.
I'm new to this product and could use any advice OTHER than re-shoot which doesn't help.
Give a brother a hand?

Return to posts index

Jim ArcoRe: Denoiser II Question
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 1:33:50 pm

I don't have Denoiser II. You might want to try After Effects' built-in effect Noise & Grain (Effects > Noise & Grain > Remove Grain.) It has been around for some time and works pretty well to remove noise in dark areas. The biggest complaint is that it is slow and not very intuitive to use.

My favorite tool for noise removal is Neat Video, but I understand your reluctance to buy another plug-in.

Denoiser II is from Red Giant, IIRC - they usually have some very good tutorials on their products, which also might help.

Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved