ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Strange anchor point "drift" of camera null

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David FuchsStrange anchor point "drift" of camera null
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:10:43 pm

Doing some comps for storyboards, I noticed that some of my layers appeared misaligned—for example, the layer boundary for a text box was offset from the actual text. My camera control is a simple one-node attached to a 3D null. Under normal circumstances, that null should always stay in the exact center of the comp as you move it—and opening a new project and comp with identical settings to the one I'm working on produces the expected effect. But for whatever reason in my project's comps, the further I move the object, the more it goes out of alignment, like you were slipping its anchor point. Illustrated below:

There's no weird orientation or rotation parameters being applied before/after parenting the camera to the null. It only seems to be happening on certain comps; starting a fresh comp with exact same settings in either a new project or the existing one works fine, but removing everything except the camera and null in the original comp does nothing to fix the problem. Tried trashing prefs and restarting.

I assume I'm just missing something really obvious, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Running CC 2015.0 on a Mac running 10.10.4.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Strange anchor point "drift" of camera null
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 6:47:31 pm

Are the parented camera's X and Y position values 0?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David FuchsRe: Strange anchor point "drift" of camera null
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 7:33:40 pm

Yep. 0,0,-1667 based on default camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved