ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animated text on path, where font size increases as it moves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Ellerby
Animated text on path, where font size increases as it moves
on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:08:21 pm

Hi
I have a repeating line of text which runs along a path. I need to make the text start at one font size and by the time it reaches the end of the path the font size has increased, so the text is gradually increasing all along the path. The start font size remains the same.
Is it best to alter scale, as opposed to font size as I'll have problems with kerning?
I can't seem to work out a logic of what do here, didn't really want to use a distort effect, can't even get that to work!

If anyone has a solution.

Thanks Ian

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Animated text on path, where font size increases as it moves
on Aug 3, 2015 at 3:50:31 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 3, 2015 at 4:09:17 pm

I'd use the scale property, with the text layer's anchor point set at the baseline for the text. I'd also make sure the text is center-justified.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ian Ellerby
on Aug 3, 2015 at 4:09:11 pm

Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply.
Not sure how this works, as the scale property increases the whole line of text, not just the part which is running along the path. I still need the starting text to be the original size, and always so, and as it runs along the path each character increases size to pre determined size at the end of path. If that makes sense.

Thanks
Ian

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 3, 2015 at 4:24:55 pm

Dave means you need to use a text animator and under the advanced animator properties change the grouping from Line to Character.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 3, 2015 at 4:34:47 pm

Actually, Johnny, I didn't understand what the OP actually wanted to do. I'm glad YOU did!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ian Ellerby
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:39:37 am

Sorry Johnny, not having a great deal of success, I've been able to increase the size of the font from one end of the path to the other as you suggested and I'm using Ramp Up in shape properties to do this, but I'm unable to have this animated so whenever the text starts at one end of the path it is one size, as it moves along the path it increases in size, so one end of the path is always one height and other end a larger size, the characters are growing as it moves along the path.
Thanks Ian

Return to posts index

Ian Ellerby
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:59:46 am

Johnny
Got it, to some degree! I animated the End Range Selector, animated the Amount, and used Ramp Down in Shape.
Trouble with Kerning now, but at least I'm heading in right direction.
Thanks
Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]