ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Driving me nuts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leeroy KelevraDriving me nuts
by on Aug 1, 2015 at 4:14:39 pm

Latest version AE CC 64 on win here.

Very simple problem, I have drawn a rectangle and would like to animate two points however whenever I use the selection tool around the two end points it selects the whole shape. It is driving me insane.

What am I doing wrong?

(as a side note I had to 'add' a "Path" entry to the automation lane so something might be amiss, although I'm not sure how you can mess up drawing a rectangle! :) )

Return to posts index

Leeroy KelevraRe: Driving me nuts
by on Aug 1, 2015 at 4:20:42 pm

I thought ok I can't do that so I tried to take another route, animating a mask. So I used another rectangle to mask the section I wanted but I can't select the mask rectangle to move it. If I click on one of the edges of the mask I can move that but I can't select the whole thing.

Is the select tool in a different mode or something, it's not working how I would expect at all. Also if I double click on the layer it does nothing.

It is driving me nuts.

Return to posts index

Derek BoettcherRe: Driving me nuts
by on Aug 2, 2015 at 2:15:16 pm

One way to select the entire mask is to go to the layer in which it is on, select it, and hit "m" this will bring up all masks. Then select the mask in the layer on the timeline, and the entire thing should select. Also if you hit cntrl (or shift, sorry I do it so reflexively that I can't remember if I'm not in front of it) you can select multiple sides or vertices of your mask from the composition window. Does that help?

Derek Boettcher
Creative Management
BTH Media Group

Return to posts index

Marc NiborRe: Driving me nuts
by on Aug 2, 2015 at 4:38:34 pm

Hey Leeroy,
I'm in a bit of a hurry... and I'm not sure if my answer if what you're looking for.... but I THINK I might have the solution.

If I got it right, you have trouble to move a single point of a mask vs moving the whole thing.

>draw your mask
>select the layer that includes the new mask
>twirl open until you see all the parameters of your mask.... mask path, mask feather mask opacity, mask expansion etc....
> make sure your selection tool is active (v)
> now if you want to move a single point of your mask, highlight the layername, NOT the mask! you now should be able to move a single point if you click and drag on it - if you SHIFT click another point you are able to move more points.
>if you click and highlight "mask path" it will activate ALL points of your mask and you can move all points at once... to "switch back", you just need to click on any other mask parameter (feather, opacity, expansion) in order to deactivate it.

hope this solves your problem.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 2, 2015 at 6:25:10 pm

Thanks Derek and Marc, it does help.

After some more experimentation I have found that if you draw a rectangle by hand (with the pen tool) then you can select the points if the path layer is selected but if you use the rectangle tool then it must stay a rectangle. I can't find a way to select the points of a rectangle.

It's the first serious AE idiosyncrasy I've found ;)

Whilst I'm posting, Ctrl+tilde(accent grave) doesn't minimize the 'control lanes' or whatever their official name is. Any ideas? It's the top left key on a UK keyboard layout right?

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2015 at 12:14:58 pm

So in order to hide all control lanes do I need to select all tracks and hit U? Is there a better way to do it?

Btw, here are some of the fruits of my labor, it's my first attempt at trying to do something in AE so be kind ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved