ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

rotating 3D cube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Brajkovichrotating 3D cube
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:34:53 pm

I created a 3D cube, but am frying out my brain trying to get the cube to rotate on one corner, so that all side are readable in a 360 spin.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: rotating 3D cube
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 10:38:49 pm

Put a 3D null in the precise center of the cube. Parent the faces of the cube to the 3D null, and rotate the null.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ron BrajkovichRe: rotating 3D cube
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 1:52:42 pm

Hell Dave, Thanks for your reply. I'm learning as I go and appreciate your help.

So now I have the Null layer,3d, but can't seem to accurately set my anchor point in the center.

How do I accurately find the center of the cube with the Null Layer anchor point?

Return to posts index

David FuchsRe: rotating 3D cube
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 2:55:59 pm

There may be a simpler way I'm not familiar with, but you just need to use a bit of math. If you had a 200 pixel square comp, and stuck the null in the dead center, it's got a position of 100,100,0. 100px-wide squares would need to be arranged around that origin point—the "front" face would be at 100,100,-50, for instance, the back at 100,100,-100, one of the side faces would be rotated 90 degrees on the Y axis and placed at 100,100,-50, etc. Snapping and an easy way of adjusting anchor points for rotation such as the RepositionAnchorPoint script make it trivial to quickly do this; then you parent it to that null.

Note that you will sometimes get some fringes and gaps/seams in your cube, even if mathematically it's perfect. Setting the cube faces' blending mode to "Alpha Add" usually helps with that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved