ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Remove tattoo

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frans SuijsRemove tattoo
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 9:52:18 pm

Hi there,

For a couple of shots in a commercial I have to remove a large tattoo on a woman's back. I tried paint, median effect but can't get it looking good. Can anyone please help me with a good approach to tackle these shots? I've included a still of one shot, where to lady is walking away from camera.

Thanks in advance!

Frans

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Remove tattoo
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 11:28:40 pm
Last Edited By Blaise Douros on Jul 30, 2015 at 11:31:47 pm

Realistically, you can't do this without hiring a Maya artist. That artist will need to animate a torso to match hers, and composite it into that scene. You are setting yourself up for probably a week's worth of wasted work if you try to paint it out, since you will discover that it is too complicated. Even rotoscoping it by hand will result in problems, since your paint strokes would have to remain absolutely consistent between frames.

It will be cheaper to re-shoot the scene with a body double or the same model with lots of coverup.

Did the director consult you before deciding that this shot could be fixed in post? Contact a local effects/animation house, and get a quote from them. Once you give that to the director, that tattoo will probably start looking a lot better.

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Remove tattoo
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 11:42:44 pm

If each shot is only a few frames, you might try this:

Take the first frame of the shot into photoshop, cut out her back, and clone out the tatt. Then, bring that cloned torso back into AE. Roto/animate that shape to match her torso using whatever warping/transform tools you can. Then, at least, the texture wouldn't change over time like it would if you were painting out individual frames. This will be a hugely painful operation and you will wish you were dead by the time it's over, but it might work.

Return to posts index

Martin BrennandRe: Remove tattoo
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 12:24:30 am

This looks like it might be fairly easy to do with mocha Pro's remove tool, which will attempt to correctly replace the lighting after the removal. You'll still need to paint a clean plate to paint out the tattoo on at least one frame, but mocha Pro may be able to do the rest.

Can you send me a sample to test?
martinb[at]imagineersystems{dot}com

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Frans SuijsRe: Remove tattoo
by on Jul 31, 2015 at 9:18:02 am

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully Mocha Pro will do the trick. I'll send you an example via WeTransfer Martin. Thanks for helping me out!

Return to posts index

ido shorRe: Remove tattoo
by on Aug 2, 2015 at 5:48:24 pm

actually I think a lot of people around here will be happy to see out it turns out. I know I would...

maybe post the results here when you finish it!

tnks!

Ido.

Return to posts index

Martin BrennandRe: Remove tattoo
by on Aug 3, 2015 at 1:57:00 am

For the benefit of everyone else, after seeing the source in motion, it is actually quite difficult: The skirt in the shot flaps over the tattoo erratically and the level of compression in her torso as she flounces away makes a solid texture track problematic.
Masking the skirt is fairly straightforward, but the actual replacement is harder, especially since painting out the tattoo will require a fair amount of back reconstruction.

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Andreas UrraRe: Remove tattoo
by on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:53:14 am

Hi, some years ago I had a shot that was similar in nature, with regards to it being body work. Back then I first tried Mocha, but everything was moving: the body was twisting, hair flying and light changing due to rotation. In the end it came down to hand painting in Photoshop and AE (no Nuke and Maya for me back then ; ) I did it as a kind of learning experience but it took literally weeks. I would not suggest doing it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19325189/BrideClean_BeforeAfter_720p30....

Best,
Andreas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]