ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pixel Art - Sharp Pixels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
babeco paifocoPixel Art - Sharp Pixels
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 7:07:23 am

Hi, I want to make a pixel art video in a 200x113 size, to keep the pixel coherence when i animate two layers f.e. the problem is the AE by default soft my composition, so finally i get a blurry pixeled video.

How can i get a sharp pixel with those dimensions? Also i need to export in a mp4.

The other choice i have is to rezise the images in photoshop preserving the hard edges, and make the composition in a HD size like 720, but this way when i animate two layers i see the trick in the pixels.

(sorry for my english im spanish (n_n')

thanks for your replies

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Pixel Art - Sharp Pixels
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:49:35 pm

Be aware of Ae's sub-pixel precision [link]. To keep pixel-art sharp, position the item such that its edge lines up exactly with the comp's raster. When a pixel of content falls mostly on one pixel of the raster and partially onto an adjacent pixel, Ae resamples it, spreading that original content pixel across each of the output pixels it touches.

This is critical for ensuring smooth, artifact-free motion, but it's not desirable on pixel art. To avoid this, make sure the difference between the layer's anchor point and position values is a whole pixel, not a fractional pixel.

You might also look rendering with Draft layers (see link above) or experimenting with the Mosaic effect [link].

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved