ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any obvious reason my file sizes vary 'so' much?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Ferran
Any obvious reason my file sizes vary 'so' much?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:14:39 am

Hello CC!

I'm building videos now on a daily basis for a very finicky system that will only accept Animation codec .mov's AND they need to be under 500 mb.. ugh...

So I cut them down as short as I can without the loop looking 'completely' ridiculous, set the quality to 15% and that gets me about 350 mb files when its cooperating.

All these comps are the exact same size, and aside from some images being swapped they are all exactly the same. I've noticed these files are always coming out at vastly different sizes, anything from 350mb to 700mb. It burned me yesterday when one of them choked the system up.

Today I did a test, I took two identical comps and exported them out, the first one was about 450mb. The second was 628mb. I deleted it and did the same render two more times, and each time it came out to the same size: 628mb.

This tells me their must be a method to this supposed madness. Can anyone give any insight on this? Or some animation codec tips for smaller sizes?

Thanks!

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

chris brett
Re: Any obvious reason my file sizes vary 'so' much?
on Jul 29, 2015 at 7:22:53 am

.... a frame of black takes a lot less space than a photo of flowers which has more info - same way if one design has large areas of flat colour it takes less space.

This could be the answer....

---------------- chris --

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2015 at 5:49:23 pm

Animation-codec only AND 500 MB or less? Geez!

Here's my take on that deal -- I'd say that since Animation is NOT a playback codec that it's getting transcoded someplace in this system, and the person operating it is sticking to what (s)he knows and not experimenting with some of the newer, better and more compact codecs.

But to answer the original question, Animation compresses using a system called run-length encoding. If it encounters 20 consecutive pixels that are 224-31-38 red, it'll encode it as something like 114-31-38 * 20 instead of all those color values 30 times in a row.

If you ever render an animated lower-third over video, you'll get a large file size. But if you render that animatedf lower-third all by itself with an alpha channel, the file size is downright compact! That's the run-length encoding.

Does that help 'spain things?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charles Ferran
on Jul 29, 2015 at 6:42:13 pm

definitely does! thanks for the info! very interesting..

for more backstory on why animation and why under 500mb: I work at a news station, we use a system called Camio which is web portal based. I drop a video into this system and its categorized so the news producers can get to it. The video is pushed to a server onsite which pushes the video across the newsroom. Its an older system hence the animation codec.

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2015 at 11:26:52 pm

You know, you might want to see if that gizmo will accept the Photo JPEG codec -- like Animation, it's been around a LONG time. If you render Photo JPEG at 95% quality, the file size drops a LOT from 100%, and it's far more compact than Animation. Sadly, it won't support Alpha Channels.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Charles Ferran
on Jul 30, 2015 at 1:49:49 am

Didn't like that either. It plays, but is super choppy, definitely a smaller file size but no luck :-/ thanks for the suggestions.

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 30, 2015 at 5:11:05 pm

I feel your pain.

One one side, you have engineering saying, "Hey, it still works, doesn't it? So what's the problem?"

On the other side you have the news director screaming, "Why can't we get something longer than a few crummy seconds? I want MORE!"

I have station experience, you see......

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Charles Ferran
on Jul 30, 2015 at 7:46:46 pm

you understand me perfectly!! and this is of course all my fault. We spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this system, it CAN'T be the system's fault... A system still reliant on a version of JAVA so old Internet Exploder even warns me over and over again not to use it. Oy Vey.

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 30, 2015 at 8:20:43 pm

Probably the best you can do is to import segmented files, keeping each segment under 500 MB. Maybe this thing can play them back in sequence without a problem. Maybe.

What a pain.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]