ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

The state of colorization in 2015? Tools? Tips?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan RitcheyThe state of colorization in 2015? Tools? Tips?
by on Jul 28, 2015 at 4:17:22 am

I have a client who would like to colorize some old black and white ads for his store. I fully expected to find a far too expensive piece of software that would do it, and let him know how much it was, and he could decide whether it was worth it. However, I've been surprised to see that unless I'm missing something, there really isn't an off-the-shelf product out there, at any price point. So.. I know in the past you could try to tediously do this in AE. I was curious whether the tools (trackers/mocha, etc.) or plugins have made the process any easier. Can anyone here chime in who may have tried this with AE? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: The state of colorization in 2015? Tools? Tips?
by on Jul 28, 2015 at 4:39:47 pm

I can not think of a single wway to do this efficiently in AE. I can only think of a handful of companies that colorize B&W footage, and you have seen the results on TV. I point to the "World War II In Color" series on one of the cable channels. History? Smithsonian? Military? I forget.

In short, it's still VERY expensive to do it, and the results still aren't very good.

If the client actually wants this done, I hope (s)he is willing to pay though the nose for iffy results, and to wait a long time before it's completed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ross ShainRe: The state of colorization in 2015? Tools? Tips?
by on Jul 28, 2015 at 6:50:12 pm

One of the original companies (Legend 3D) that pioneered the digital colorization process uses mocha quite a lot for 2D-3D conversion. The challenge is very similar in that you have to "mask or isolate" everything on screen.

Certainly mocha AE or mocha Pro assists in this process - and will save a lot of time. But still every object on screen needs to be tracked and masked.

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved