ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Unwrapping a globe?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke LuxorUnwrapping a globe?
by on Jul 27, 2015 at 9:00:16 pm

Hello all!

I am trying to pull off an effect where I have a sphereized map of the world (using CC Sphere) unwrap to go back to a flat map of the world, but I can't seem to find any way to do it within my budget (3rd party tools like Boris FX are a little pricey), is there ANY way at all to pull it off just within AE, and if not I will take the next best solution.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Unwrapping a globe?
by on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:11:28 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jul 28, 2015 at 3:12:01 pm

Use the Optics Compensation effect instead of CC Sphere.

Return to posts index

Luke LuxorRe: Unwrapping a globe?
by on Jul 30, 2015 at 2:00:51 pm

Alright! Let me give that a shot!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:04:50 am

After playing with it and looking around for a while, this isn't quite the effect I'm looking for, I might be missing something though, is there a tutorial or something you can point me to?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Unwrapping a globe?
by on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:26:09 am

Hi Luke,

I don't know if there are any tutorials for the optics compensation method. It just came to mind trying to think of any built-in effects that could be used.

The next relatively good option for creating a spherical warp with built-in tools is mesh warp (plus a circular track matte to make it appear perfect).

A more complex option is to use an animated displacement map (at 16 bits), but it would take me hours to figure out exactly how that would be set up.

I also tried the method of enlarging the CC sphere radius while decreasing the map size -- it ends up looking essentially the same as optics compensation, but is more difficult to do. And it doesn't go all the way to a flat map.

In any case, I believe the key is to come up with of a good way to animate a plane wrapping into a sphere rather than the other way around. There are several ways to do this, not sure what is the best for you.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 9, 2015 at 10:01:58 am

I think that is actually a really good idea, I'll poke around to see if I can come up with any solutions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]