ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS6 Running Unusually slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim AdamsonCS6 Running Unusually slow
by on Jul 25, 2015 at 10:25:45 am

Hi all,

I've started a new project from a photoshop document for a client and after effects is running incredibly slow. ie. it takes a full minute to render out a 640x1136 frame at a quarter resolution, yeah, that bad. Now I have a reasonable idea why it's running so slow though I don't have experience with it so I'm posting here to make sure. Does it make sense to assume that it's the PSD which I imported as a composition retaining editable layer styles, with what seems like a few hundred layers is the reason it's running so slow?

To be clear I've never had a project render this slow that I can ever remember and my specs are as follows:

Early 2013 15-inch Retina Macbook Pro
2.7 GHz Intel Quad Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB (CUDA-enabled)
500GB SSD (with only 30GB free, but again, I've worked on harddrive space lower than this and never had an issue)
After Effects Version

So is this in fact why it's running so slow and if so, what can I do to improve performance?

Thanks in Advance

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS6 Running Unusually slow
by on Jul 26, 2015 at 10:23:55 am

A few hundred layers can slow you down. Have you accidentally set the comp to use the ray-tracing renderer? How much RAM does Ae have available to it (i.e., what other apps are you running and what are your memory and multiprocessing settings)?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved