ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

FL Depth of Field (White border)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dick CheneyFL Depth of Field (White border)
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 9:13:47 am

Hi Guys,

this is my first post so i would like to start with thanking everybody for the countless times that this forum has helped me out. I think it's great.

Now i have a problem though, that I can't find a solution too and I hope one of you guys can help me out.

I've rendered a C4D animation with a Depth pass and I am using Frischluft's Depth of Field Plugin to add the DOF.

I've precomposed my RGBA image and Masked it with my Object Buffer.

When i apply FL DOF in the level above it looks fine when on Black background, but when placed on top of another background, there is this horrible white edge and i don't know what's producing this. I hope one of you has an idea or solution for that.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers, Dick.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: FL Depth of Field (White border)
by on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:44:44 pm

AE may be interpreting the Alpha Channel incorrectly. It appears that the clip is being interpreted as having a stright alpha channel, but it's really premultiplied over white.

You can re-create the clip in the previous application, setting the alpha channel to Straight.... can change AE's interpret footage settings to "Guess" for the alpha channel (AE does a good job of guessing)...

...or you change the alpha channel interpretation settings to Premultipled (not a great choice).

In any case, you'll have to re-import the footage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shawn MarshallRe: FL Depth of Field (White border)
by on Jul 25, 2015 at 2:57:28 am

You might try turning off gamma correction in FL DOF. That's worked for me in the past.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Peter DiefenthalerRe: FL Depth of Field (White border)
by on Jul 26, 2015 at 5:56:21 pm
Last Edited By Peter Diefenthaler on Jul 26, 2015 at 5:56:42 pm

What does your depth pass look like? This plugin wants a depth pass where white is closest to the camera and black farthest from the camera. Sometimes if the depth pass is inverted it will give strange results like this.

Peter Diefenthaler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved