ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rolling Shutter Repair/Warp Stabilizer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Madoff
Rolling Shutter Repair/Warp Stabilizer
on Jul 23, 2015 at 3:58:08 pm

I have been trying to smooth out a shot of lower Manhattan in which I used a 7D to pan from the tip of of the island to the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge. Anyone who has used a DSLR knows this is a bit of a risky maneuver for this kind of camera. I tried using VFX Stabilizer as well as Rolling Shutter Repair in AE and Premiere Pro, but neither really addressed the issue. I've attached the footage. If you have any ideas, please send them my way.

https://vimeo.com/134314550

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rolling Shutter Repair/Warp Stabilizer
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:31:07 pm

Re-shoot using a camera that doesn't use a rolling shutter.

And that's a pretty quick pan, too. You may also be experiencing judder. It happens a lot a low frame rates like 23.976.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:51:47 pm

You could always use a manually keyframed Skew transformation to offset whatever the rolling shutter repair tools don't.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:39:43 am

to fix:
place a guide ruler in ae, then hand keyframe like Blaise Douros said. but any transformation will soften the image slightly.
if the pan itself is jerky, you can use warp stabilizer on the precomped transformation or
precomp, timestretch 80%, then timewarp 80% the precomp and it will average out the pan.

next time:
either pan slowwww or shoot 60fps then speed it up in post to eliminate judder and jello.

you can also add reelmotionblur or timewarp shutter blur in post. this way, you can match blurring with pan speed to anything you want, keeping post extremely flexible.

Return to posts index

Daniel Madoff
on Jul 24, 2015 at 2:47:52 am

Thank you Chris Wright. I'll try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]