ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Struggling with Realistic Compositing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrean MangiardiStruggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 21, 2015 at 7:38:30 pm

I've been compositing many times using basic techniques, however I am struggling to advance to the next level of realistic compositing.

To those who have extensive experience in realistic compositing, be straight with me. Be brutal. I will take it because that's how I grow.

This is the first try: The background is in 2D and I applied blur to create depth of field. But it was badly done.

This is my second attempt. The background has vanishing points which was done in Photoshop. I then imported the layers of vanishing points into AE and tried adjusting it to fit with the person in the foreground. It still doesn't look good.

Obviously, I need to match the lighting between the background and the person. I shot this before I even look at the background so I guess that was a bad decision on my part. Do you guys usually analyze the photos beforehand to mimic the lightings on set?

Adding the shadow as a pain so for next time, I will ask the aerobic instructor to bring the yoga mat to prevent green spill onto their clothing and not have to worry about adding fake shadows.

And yes, the proportion is off.

What do you guys think? I'd really like to improve in this.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.
Adrean

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: Struggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 21, 2015 at 8:33:18 pm

I was just watching this video when your post came across. It might be helpful.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Adrean MangiardiRe: Struggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:19:28 pm

This is informative. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Paul EstevesRe: Struggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 7:01:25 am

I think you answered your own questions. Lighting and colour are off. The lack of shadows make it look like she is hovering over the floor, not standing on the floor. I think if you got those 3 things right, it'd be 90% of the way there. The rest would be small changes that'll just make it look like she was in that studio.

Return to posts index

Adrean MangiardiRe: Struggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:20:22 pm

Thanks man. I'll keep working on it.

Return to posts index

Shawn MillerRe: Struggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 7:59:22 pm

Beyond the solid advice that others have given. Reading the excellent books by Ron Brinkman and Mark Christiansen on composting theory and techniques can really get you started in the right direction. If you can swing it, I would also look at any of Mark's vault course on FXPHD. It's 10 weeks of project based, hands on tutorials with tons of great tips.

http://www.amazon.com/Ron-Brinkmann/e/B001IO9KYE/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=...

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Christiansen/e/B001HQ4HPK/ref=dp_byline_cont_boo...

https://www.fxphd.com/fxphd/courseDetails.php?idCourse=275

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Struggling with Realistic Compositing
by on Jul 22, 2015 at 9:49:55 pm

[Adrean Mangiardi] " Do you guys usually analyze the photos beforehand to mimic the lightings on set?"

Yes. You can't fix incorrect lighting in post. Well, not without a massive amount of work by a team of people...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]