ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Projection mapping and Collapse Transformation collision in AE problem!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ido shor
Projection mapping and Collapse Transformation collision in AE problem!
on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:58:32 pm

Hello everyone,

Been following you wizards for years now, never needed to post a problem I had, because in all cases I found my answer already in the forums....
but... not this time.

the problem is I have Pre-compsed a composition which has in it complex 3D comp including a image projection by a light on a solid. (the lake in the picture). all went fine besides the projection which went berserk... it seems the image I am trying to project on the solid is not visible, and what I get in return is the white texture of it instead.

it happened when I press the collapse transformation button in order to maintain the 3D environment in the master comp. (I want to add camera movements and such there).

you can see the problem in the image I uploaded. on the left is the result of the BKG comp, and on the right is the master comp.

and ideas?

thanks, Ido.

stats: MacBook Pro, Retina, 16gb, 1600MHz DDR3 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, working on AE CC 2014.2

Return to posts index

ido shor
Re: Projection mapping and Collapse Transformation collision in AE problem!
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:09:59 am

Didn't get any answer still, but in the meantime I build a simple work around. maybe if anyone got stack like me it could help:

instead of using the Collapse Transformation feature I added the bkg as a 2D layer. (not pressing the 3D enable button), and just linked the Camera Position and Point of Interest of the camera to the camera in the General comp. that way at least I need to worry about one camera while the other will automatically be updated in the pre comp as well.

hopefully this is a temporal solution.

have a good one in the meantime.
Ido.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jul 23, 2015 at 1:11:13 pm

How are you projecting the image on that plane?

What you did to solve it is what I do almost everytime. To avoid collapsing I end up duplicating not just cameras but mattes, masks and nulls. The property linking is kind of a pain though, so I have this script hotkeyed. It's handy and you should keep it in mind if you do a lot of compositing.

Return to posts index

ido shor
on Jul 26, 2015 at 12:06:55 pm

thanks for the script! how does it work? does it do all the needed duplication and linking automatically?

about the projection. I used a light and a image which light passes through it and projected on another surface which is rotated and positioned according to the camera angle in the image. pretty standard staff I guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]