ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

WEIRD! Effects, turning off with no key frames...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Davis
WEIRD! Effects, turning off with no key frames...
on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:50:01 pm

Hi,

First of all, I'll say that this problem feels familiar, like I've had it before and can't remember what the solution was.

I'm creating an effect where a magnifying glass is passing over as scene and magnifying what's underneath. Magnifying glass is two layers: one is the frame of the magnifying glass and on top is the "glass" overlayed and parented. An adjustment layer below them carries the magnify effect and the parameters are pick-shipped so that moving or scaling the magnifying glass will affect the background layer accordingly. So far so good all is well, until we get about 40 frames into it. The the glass becomes opaque again.

No key frames have been laid yet, I was just testing out the parenting and noticed it.

Further testing has revealed that the trouble seems to stem from the magnifying glass frame layer. I used the rotobrush to quickly mask out the glass on the frame layer and it seems to turn off after 40 frames.

Any ideas why that might be or how I might fix it?

I will attach screen shots if needed, but there's not much to see, as I said, no key frames...and it works great for 40 frames.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
Re: WEIRD! Effects, turning off with no key frames...
on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:57:31 pm

Still curious if anyone has an answer, but in the meantime I found a work-around. Just used a circular mask instead of the rotobrush. Should have done that in the first place, but for whatever reason my brain latched on to that plan...

Still though, why would the rotobrushed mask quit on me after 40 frames?

Weird...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:57:50 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:58:57 pm

I'd export a still frame of the magnifying glass frame with an alpha channel, and reimport for use in AE. Then I'd KNOW I wouldn't have any more Rotobrush silliness to deal with.

I'll use Rotobrush on a still to make just ONE alpha-channel frame and render it out. Works like a charm for me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Aug 4, 2015 at 3:09:31 pm

Yeah, that would've worked as well, thanks.

As it turns out, the client had some comments which ended up eliminating the "magnifying" effect anyway...at least the effect of it moving around. Which simplified the AE build at least. Still don't know why the Rotobrush conked out like that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]