ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Overlay dependent on footage used.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott WilliamsOverlay dependent on footage used.
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 12:16:14 pm

I'm recording footage which will provide four different camera angles and want an appropriate overlay to turn on to signify what angle is being viewed. The footage will be ≈4 hours long and be cut down to a 10 minute video with several cuts and I can't for the life of me figure out a practical way to do it.

Currently the only way I've figured out to do it would be to use hold keyframes on the camera layer and attach an if/else expression to the appropriate overlay. This works for a small segment however when I cut to a time later in the footage I'll have to make another overlay layer to link to the next camera layer.

Expression based After Effects comp.

Ideally I'd like to be able to start in Premiere Pro to compose the video and import the project into after effects. This makes it both easier to cut the layers and view them simultaneously but also when imported into AE it will be a lot clearer to view the active layer.

Clear and ideal for the initial cut in Premiere

Premiere import to after effects

Now this could've gone in several forums but I just don't know what solution is the best as they're may be a really simple way which I was unaware of. The only way I could envision this working would be to have an expression which searches through all the layers with the title (Camera XXX) as each new cut produces a numerical sequence but because these imports don't work with opacity i'm really stuck.

I hope you can understand and I really hope you can help!
Cheers guys and gals.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Overlay dependent on footage used.
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 2:34:41 pm

In the project panel, select your camera movies (Camera, Camera, etc.), right-click, and replace with a precomps. Open each precomp and put the overlay there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Scott WilliamsRe: Overlay dependent on footage used.
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 4:19:37 pm

You're a star! That saves me so much time and hassle and it's so simple. I knew there would be an easy way out there!

Is it possible to integrate this method through to a way which updates based on the premiere file similar to a dynamic link or would I have to reimport the whole sequence again?

Return to posts index

Blaise DourosRe: Overlay dependent on footage used.
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 5:49:45 pm

Is there any reason you want to do this in After Effects, and not Premiere? I ask because Dynamic Link is an absolute dog for performance, and you do NOT want to run four streams of DL footage out of AE.

You could achieve the exact same thing in Premiere by creating a sequence for each camera, overlaying a title on your footage in that sequence, and then importing that sequence as a clip into your main edit timeline. No After Effects, no Dynamic Link, no trouble. Your performance will be a hell of a lot better, and it will be easier.

Return to posts index

Scott WilliamsRe: Overlay dependent on footage used.
by on Jul 20, 2015 at 6:04:44 pm

Main reason being there are more technical overlays, effects and the use of expressions that are exclusive to after effects that will be used primarily (Second reason being it's what I'm familiar with). I'm using premiere just to cut and sync the videos.

I understand that what you mention would be a suitable solution but because AE will be my primary application I'd like control as much as possible in that. The only reason I asked about dynamic links was to know that if I made any adjustments later on that they could be easily updated however come to think of it if any adjustments were made to change to a newer version it would only involve repeating the initial process which would take 5 minutes max.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved